breast pain and exercise

goopers

I have worked out religiously for years. I owned an exercise facility, taught 9 classes a week and had about a 5% body fat ratio. I'm now 45 and still work out 6 days a week--45 min on a step mill- then 1/2 hours of free weights. I am literally soaked to the bone afterward. I'm happier (sexually and mentally) than I've ever been and yet I have noticed that my breasts have grown at least one cup size in less than a year. I've also noticed that clothes are tighter. I'm not as obsessive about my diet as I once was and I don't jump around as much as I used to so I'm thinking that may have something to do with it. They're also tremendously sore...believe me, this isn't a good thing. I've had big breasts since I was 12 and have always been bothered by them. My diet hasn't changed all that much, I still work out, but I'm gaining weight and most of it's in my boobs! Could it be perimenopause? Anyone have these symptoms? Any remedies? Suggestions? It used to be just the week prior to my period...now it's 3 weeks a month!! Oye.

Goopers, I'm not Cathe but I'll bet it's perimenopause. I put up a post about a year ago (I think) on the Open Discussion forum titled "My Cups Runneth Over" in which I described my previously negligible A cuppers going over the space of about a year into serious B-cup country. With absolutely no reason for it. I too work out very consistently and eat a lower-fat diet in proper amounts, but the gazongas took on a life all their own. I'll be 46 in July, so we're the same age.

The soreness might indeed be from increased breast tissue and volume. If it's really, really bothering you I'd go in for a check-up with your primary care physician and/or ob-gyn to rule anything more serious out.

A-Jock

A-Jock,
Yeah, I think you're right...it's probably perimenopause. Yay. Although, my periods are like clockwork so who knows? I'd still love to know if there's anything I could be avoiding--food wise. I hate the thought of giving up my large turbo ice coffee and my chardonay but something tells me I may have to. NOOOOOO!!!!!! Isn't there an exercise I can do to get rid of these torpedos?? (ps: I'll be 46 in July too!) Thanks for the response.

Something similar has been happening to me too! I am in my early 40s and had my third baby three years ago. I was amazed that my breasts retained their fullness long after I stopped breastfeeding him - this certainly did not happen with my other two babies (although it was 14 years since I last gave birth). I am experiencing tenderness three weeks out of four when in the past it was just one week before my period. I was relating the symptoms to my recent pregnancy and hadn't really thought too much about perimenopause but that does seem more realistic.

I'm sorry that I don't have any remedies to suggest but if I discover anything I will let you know.

Best wishes,
Meg

I wish I had something else to report, because even my B-Bs bother me, but I think boobularity is something we absolutely cannot control. You may have to content yourself with getting more sturdy sports bras for your workouts, enjoying your lattes and your Chardonnay, and having Da Guys look at you sideways while desperately trying to pretend they're not.

A-Jock

Hello,

In the past 5-8 yrs. after my 4th child I have been experiencing breast swelling and pain in the same manner. I finally went to have a mammogram. The tech was all friendly at first until the photos started coming out. Then she was quite. I ended up at another clinic for more photos for concern of breast cancer. Scared me to death! As it turned out the large shadows on the films were cysts. They grew to the size of kiwi's during the 3 week period and finally went down around my period. So very painful. Not too much to be done although the doctor said that if they really were causing problems I could have them removed. I am still contemplating that thought. I hope that you have checked this out with your primary. They can run a test to see if you are indeed in premenopause phase at this time.

As for easing the pain... try a "water pillow" filled with cool water. (this is like an ice pack but with water not frozen) Fill only to the point where you can easily fold or mold to your body. Feels Great! Easy circular massage is a plus.
Got mine at discover.com

Wishing you well,

Sincerely,
Heidi

Honestly, I have nothing of value to add here... I just wanted to let you know that the terminology you guys have been using in this thread has me rolling on the floor...

"Cups Runneth Over"... torpedoes... boobularity...

I'd had a pretty icky day, and this thread put a real smile on my face.

Totally hilarious. :)

Holy crap! I am the proud owner of some massive mounds myself, and since I just turned 41, now I am scared out of my mind!

If they get any bigger due to perimenopause, I might have to buy them their own address.:7
Serious though, thanks for bringing up your concern, so far, I have alot of swelling about 1 week before my period, and boy oh boy do they look awesome!! While my hips, thighs and especially my belly are bloated beyond recognition.x(

I heard that the herb Chasteberry and Black Kohosh (or something like that) helps alot of symptoms. I personally take Chasteberry for my raging PMS.

And how do you find the Chasteberry works for pms?? I need something, that's for sure. While it would be wonderful if it were just my bodacious ta-ta's that were swelling, it's not. My entire body swells. I do sweat like the outside of a beer can in a texas heat wave when I work out though. And that helps. I've also noticed that my swelling begins about 10 days after my period, then it stops for a couple days and I'm ok. Then it's bad, major pms. So perhaps it related to ovulation? I will say it's nice to know I'm not alone!

I actually really, really like the chasteberry. I buy it under the name "Vitex".
I have noticed while it does not really help with swelling--I take Uva Ursi (a diuretic herb that works wonders), it helps with the moodiness, the whole irritable/weepy thing.

It is certainly worth a try! Take the Chasteberry everyday though, it needs time to "build up" in your system, you should start feeling it in a few weeks.:)

Another girl who will be 46 in July here... I was a B until a couple of years ago and now am D to DD. I have not been pleased with these developments, but it does seem really common at this age!

I'm 59 and noticed that after menopause the girls got bigger. I've gained a small amount of weight and it didn't go where it used to, my hips and thighs, but went to the upper body.??? so not necessarily a bad thing, my hips & thighs are big enough. the good thing would have been no weight gain, but it gets tougher as we age. there are reasons why older people tend to get fatter...we don't burn calories as efficiently and tend to lose muscle mass. but I did switch to a heavier duty sports bra. the bounce factor may be causing the discomfort. a breast exam and a baseline mammogram if you haven't had one would be a good thing to do. I did quit drinking ( gradually) anything with caffeine and it seemed to help the breast discomfort.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.