bicep curl - barbell vs dumbbells

MAYNARDSMOM

Cathlete
I did STS #30 today (shuffled the Oct rotation a bit ;)). While doing the barbell curls for the life of me I could only squeak out 6 reps with my 85%RM using a barbell. Using dumbbells at the same weight I was able to do them all. What's up with that? :confused:

Love the guns I've developed with STS!!! :D:D Thanks!!

IMO, it's because the barbell locks you into a very specific position and motion path, while using dumbbells allows you to find a more natural path for your body, perhaps just a slight difference in angle or position that is the strongest for you. (Also, I think it sometimes is easier to use a bit of body English while using dumbbells without realizing it).

IMO, it's because the barbell locks you into a very specific position and motion path, while using dumbbells allows you to find a more natural path for your body, perhaps just a slight difference in angle or position that is the strongest for you. (Also, I think it sometimes is easier to use a bit of body English while using dumbbells without realizing it).

Thanks Kathryn! Therefore it's good to mix it up & use both. :D
Oh how I dread the barbell though :confused: I know I know - it's good for building muscle so I'll do it w/o whining! :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.