BEST shoe for high-impact step aerobics?

beachgerrrl

Cathlete
So far, after several days, I've almost made it through part 1 of Cathe's Step Heat! lol :) And though I have tried to make the moves less high impact, I can tell that my Adida running shoes, and Nike cross-trainers are just not cutting it.

What shoes should I get? I'm stepping in the basement (concrete floor, covered my a thin, pebble pile carpet (almost no pile)). I know it's not the best flooring for stepping, but it's all I can have for a while.

I thought I read somewhere, that crosstrainers were NOT good for step aerobics, but now I can't find where I saw the thread. I looked at the Ryka.com site, and found the Rhythm II shoes. But some of the threads here suggest they are not that cushiony.

So, all of you Cathe Step-aholics, what shoes do you all swear by? I need to get some ASAP. :)

Thanks!

I am sorry I don't have an answer, I actually am tagging along with the same question. My new Adidas's are not feeling that great since I started doing Cathe's videos about a month ago. My arches hurt during heavy leg weight work and at times during higher impact step routines. I try very hard to place feet properly and my flooring is cushioned for impact, and I even wear arch support socks. My feet have no medical problems. I feel the sneaker might not have enough side to side support for my foot, it feels that way anyway. Heel and ball of foot is well supported though. Can you recommend a shoe line that really keeps your foot fully supported on all sides without having to tie it so tight that you start cutting off circulation??

Not Cathe, but I have found that Ryka Enlight are great. They really cushion and I have no trouble with my plantar faciitis. I also just bought Avia 684 (I think that is what Cathe uses in Kickmax). I like it but I think when I need new shoes I may go back to the Ryka. One thing I have found, though, is that what works for one my not work for someone else.

>Not Cathe, but I have found that Ryka Enlight are great.
>They really cushion and I have no trouble with my plantar
>faciitis. I also just bought Avia 684 (I think that is what
>Cathe uses in Kickmax). I like it but I think when I need new
>shoes I may go back to the Ryka. One thing I have found,
>though, is that what works for one my not work for someone
>else.

Lala :)
Aren't the Enlight ones, crosstrainers? This is where I am getting confused. So you do use them for Cathe's STEP workouts? Or are you using these for her other video types? I only need shoes for the step aerobics. I almost ordered the Rhythm II Rykas. I'm glad I read your post first! :) You say Cathe wears Avias? So, then, she doesn't wear Rykas? Or does she just model/use/promote various shoes in every video? I can't tell what she is wearing in Step Heat. lol Plus, since that video is older, I doubt they still have that same shoe available.

The Ryka are what are now called "studio shoes" These are designed for step, hi-low, kickbox,weight work, etc. From what I've read, studio shoes have lots of support for the heel as well as lateral support. Cathe DOES wear Ryka, but in Kickmax she is using Avia. When I ordered my Avia, I called and told them what I use the shoe for and which they would recommend (the one they recommened I had to send back because it just didn't work for me). anyway, I think the best shoe for step is a studio or aerobic shoe, not a crosstrainer.

I just bought a new pair of New Balance W1007's and i LOVE them. They are more cushiony than their previous models.

I also purchased the Ryka Rhythm II and they do offer good support, however, it is difficult to do lateral movement in them because they have a high cut. Once they wear out, I won't repurchase another pair.

- Shopgirl

I purchsed the Ryka Rhythm II, too! Yes they are comfortable, but these do not have enough lateral support for me. My arches ache in these. I'm looking for a pair with great lateral support. Anybody know of one?
Namita

Hi Beachgerrrl! I am wearing my Ryka Enlight II as I type. They are my current favorites and I have been wearing them for about 3 months now. They felt cushioney from day one. Good Luck!

Hi

I just wanted to make another suggestion that might be an inexpensive way to help cushion the flooring in your basement. Recently, we remodeled our great room and went from carpeting to ceramic tile. I purchased some puzzle mats (the colored ones for kids) from Walmart and they are an inexpensive way to provide more cushioning. I stack two layers on top of one another and they work pretty well. I need to note that I don't have problems with slipping because the tile surface is not extremely smooth.

As far as shoes, the Rykas have worked pretty well for me over the years. I agree with the others comments about the Ryka Rhythm's. For some reason, they really hurt my little toes, so I have trouble with lateral movements. I have the original Ryka Enlights and I think I will be purchasing the Enlight II's.

Good luck!

Sandra S.

Thanks for everyone's comments/suggestions/tips on shoes and flooring! :)

1-
Question regarding "lateral support". What does that mean? Is this about ankle support? Then, if the Rhythm IIs have a higher top, wouldn't that be more "ankle support"? Or is lateral support something else (arch support?). I have low arches, not quite flat footed, but very low.

I found this site. It says that the Rhythm IIs offer more "motion control". I figured that meant more "support". But, I guess I am not understanding the terminology here. I want to get the model Rykas with the most ankle support, but are you all saying that it will interfere with the step routines (side to side)? Am I understanding this correctly? (I'm feeling like a dork, again. lol)

http://www.aapsm.org/aerobicshoes.html

2-
Sizing:
Seems like I should give the Rykas a try. But I think I read they run a bit small? Has anyone found this to be true? My feet are average width, and I wear a size 9 (US) shoe. I have a pair of Nike crosstrainers that are a size 9. But, I have Adida running shoes that are a 9.5. So, should I order the 9.5 in the Rykas? I wear thin/avg below ankle socks. Nothing heavy wt.

I wish I could just go to the store and try these shoes on, but I have to order online. :-( I'm leaning towards the Enlight II, since I want these for Cathe's killer step workouts. lol And if she wears these, I guess that answers that. :) I just want to make sure I have the most support, so my ankles don't slip sideways, since I am not really stepping on proper flooring right now.

Thanks again!

I started out with Rykas Rhythm II's and loved them to the point of wearing them out. I then ordered the Enlight II's and love them even more. I have also found that the sizes run true :)

Hope this helps!

Oooo! a big thanks, for that sales link! :)

atomlinson, & brendazzz
ha! your posts just made up my mind on which style to order: BOTH, of course. :+ Who has time for decisions, right? lol I'm not sure I'll get the Enlight IIs though, as they only had one pair left in my size. But no tax and no shipping? How could I not order them both?

I think this board is going to be a dangerous place for me to hang around on. :)

I had no idea about all this shoe business. Im getting shoe-lightened!! just a stupid question is thr a difference between the'studio shoes' and the ryka enlight or thy just mean the same thing? wht kind of retailers would have the ryka's, i would like to try b4 i purchase.
neha.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.