Best ab routine to recover from "Mommy belly"

EllieB

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!

I know there is a pregnancy and post-partum forum, but I have already posted there: I have a diastasis recti and thanks to Sheila Watkins 's help (I'll never stop blessing her for her invaluable advice!) I closed my gap almost completely (it's less than 1 finger on my navel ) and now- even if I don't have that "little mountain" bulging out right in the middle of my abs, I still have my upper abs bulging out, while mid and lower abs went back to previous form. I think that's because that upper layer has weakened throughout pregnancy. Do you have any advice about best ab exercises to correct this? I've read you had a complete diastasis and seeing you in your intensity series with that wonderful abs gives me a lot of hope- you're amazing!
Just one last thing: my son, 11 months old, is so accustumed to see you on the tv screen that every time I work-out and he sees you he waves his hands as if he wanted to say hello to you :) I bet he's your youngest fan ever :D
Thank you in advance for your reply (or to any of the Cathletes who would give me any tips)

Ellie

Not Cathe....

I'm not cathe by any means, nor have I ever experienced this, but I do know that the Tupler Technique is a series of exercises that can be done to help repair diastasis recti. Here is a link to some exercises on FitPregnancy.com that should show you a few things to do. I would love to hear what Cathe has to say regarding this too. I'm sure it must be a very frustrating issue. Hope this helps.

http://www.fitpregnancy.com/fitness/postnatal_workout/40871562.html?page=2

I'm not cathe by any means, nor have I ever experienced this, but I do know that the Tupler Technique is a series of exercises that can be done to help repair diastasis recti. Here is a link to some exercises on FitPregnancy.com that should show you a few things to do. I would love to hear what Cathe has to say regarding this too. I'm sure it must be a very frustrating issue. Hope this helps.

http://www.fitpregnancy.com/fitness/postnatal_workout/40871562.html?page=2

Thank you very much Jodelle for your link! I didn't know about that, so I had a quick look and discovered that there are a couple of exercises I can add to the rehab routine that Sheila has given to me. Actually, my diastasis has almost completely closed because the gap is very tiny (less than 1 finger) but, in spite of that, upper abs are still "out of place". :(
I'm trying to work my transverse as much as I can also doing planks, but I'm not sure if this is enough or not.:confused: Hope I will go back to my previous flatness sooner or later ...In the meantime, I try to work hard :)

Think of an exercise called the drawstring and the zip up.... Your transverse is like your drawstring on a pair of pants and the zip up is your rectus abdominis (your long ab muscles) and work on tightening your drawstring and imagining that transverse drawing in and getting tighter, then imagine zipping up a tight pair of jeans and zipping the abs tight into the body. Another way to feel what it should feel like is to cough.... Most peoples abs draw in and up when they cough and thats the way u want to tighten and work the transverse in combination with the rectus!:)

Think of an exercise called the drawstring and the zip up.... Your transverse is like your drawstring on a pair of pants and the zip up is your rectus abdominis (your long ab muscles) and work on tightening your drawstring and imagining that transverse drawing in and getting tighter, then imagine zipping up a tight pair of jeans and zipping the abs tight into the body. Another way to feel what it should feel like is to cough.... Most peoples abs draw in and up when they cough and thats the way u want to tighten and work the transverse in combination with the rectus!:)

Yessssss... your one is a crystal clear explanation of what I've been doing in the last couple of months...And it works!!!;):)I was almost 3 fingers separated and I was able to close my gap (up to 1 finger is considered normal) just "tucking in" and "zipping up".
I wouldn't have been able to describe them better...Well done Jodelle!
I don't know if other Moms are reading this post, but I give these exercises a lot of credits because they work, and even if I know I've not gone back to my pre-pregnancy abs yet, I know that there is a lot of hope!:)

Last edited:
Kudos to you for being so proactive about your core! Your core is the center of your body so if you keep it in shape and strong the rest of you will be in balance and strong as well! You rock, girl.

Kudos to you for being so proactive about your core! Your core is the center of your body so if you keep it in shape and strong the rest of you will be in balance and strong as well! You rock, girl.

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words!:eek: After delivery my abs were destroyed almost completely, and after rehab of diastasis there's still a lot to do...:(for instance, pulling back loose skin to the muscle is really hard work... That is why I was looking for more advice...I think it will take a lot of time, and in the meantime, I shall keep up the good work :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.