Becoming a fitness pro

caricampbellcool

Dear Cathe,

I currently work as a CPA but I hate the accounting profession.
My dream is to own my own gym but I figure I need more background before I do so. I am thinking of becoming ACE certified in personal training, group instruction, and nutrition, and hopefully working in a gym before I attempt to own one.
My questions are, how do I get experience teaching aerobic classes, and do you think that the market is to flooded for me to successfully gain employment? I am afraid the pay cut will be too dramatic and I will end up destitute. How much money do you think I can earn if I work in a gym? I know these are vague questions, but I want to do this very badly and I need guidance!
Do you think my plan can work?
Thank you very much.
ps-your videos are the best!

Hi, Cari! I'm not Cathe by any stretch, but I thought I'd make a few suggestions, just things for you to think about if you want to make a career change into the fitness area:

1. Getting certified through ACE is an excellent idea, and you may also want to think about joining IDEA (www.ideafit.com), a membership organization (not a certifying body) for fitness professionals. It has a wealth of information for budding fulltime fitness pros, facilities managers, group fitness and training coordinators, etc. - lots of good business information as well as technical info. Also, it regularly does industry surveys regarding compensation, working hours and conditions, credentials needed, etc.;

2. If you want to become a group fitness instructor, take many classes in a variety of different modes (step, kickbox, hi/lo, aqua, cardio-strength, urban rebounding . . . you get an idea how long the list is) and figure out which modes you enjoy the most. Get good at these, and research the workshops available to learn how to instruct them;

3. To get actual instruction experience, check out if clubs in your area hold auditions for new instructors, and/or see if you can buddy up with working instructors who might let you team-teach with them every now and then. Once you're certified and have selected modes you feel comfortable instructing, check which clubs need subs added to their list (subbing for regular instructors is a good way of getting your face out there!) - or, if they have an actual slot open for you!

4. There are many good websites for fitness professionals; my favorite is "Turnstep" (www.turnstep.com), which has a whole host of bulletin boards, pattern and moves boards, surveys, what have you. Good place to get a sense of the realities of life in the fitness realm.

I'm only the partest of part-timers (only teach two classes per week), but I thought I'd kick in my two cents.

Good luck!

Annette

Hi Cathe,
I have the exact same dream as Cari. I am also a CPA that is not happy in the accounting profession. I would love to become a personal trainer and a weight loss consultant. I would love to read your response. Thanks Tracy

GO PRO...Cathe told me so!

Cari,
Hay Rhonda Davis here.

I agree with the suggestions posted by Annette.
She gave you sold advice.

Did you happen to read the post about Cathe encouraging and helping me get started in the fitness club?
She attended my first aerobics class (for seniors…less pressure with them, they are just happy to have someone help them out…bless their hearts…they are wonderful and not critical).

Cathe sat on this little mini chair (the class took place in a preschool at Gloucester County College, about 5 minutes away from the 4 Seasons Health Club), she was smiling away.

What were you thinking Cathe? I wonder.

Remembering that first day with her and the class attendants puts a smile on my face.

She encouraged me to find what I enjoyed teaching.
Maybe this is could be a good starting point.

I went through ACE (group fitness) and AFAA (P.T.) for my certifications.
Even though I have a BS in Health and Exercise Science from Rowan University, I felt,
as did Chris Williams at 4 Seasons (my advisor to this day on many things), Professional Certification was in everyone's best interest.

I am glad I did this 'cause it has become an enjoyable way of life(THANKS CHRIS, THANKS CATHE).

Currently I am working on my Masters Degree in Nutrition/Exercise Performance, and according to my Graduate Professors, ACE and AFAA have the most popular and sound reputations.

You go get'um.

Rhonda

Boy, can I dig your dream! I would LOVE to be a personal trainer (or work in a museum as a curator), but money would be a real issue. I guess I need to save my pennies to get certified and go from there.

If I won the lottery, I'd become a personal trainer and volunteer at a museum (and have a Dairy Queen franchise)! Anything it possible! Somebody wins the lottery all the time, you just have to buy a ticket.

RE: HB!!

AFAA Is having a fall APEX here in Columbus this year!! $99.00 a day. That's one of the reasons I going to try and get certified for my PT, is because otherwise, I can't afford it! If you want to go for group instruction, that's a one day thing.
Anyway, I just thought I'd let you, and anybody else in Connecticut, Missouri, and Ohio know. All 3 places are having it this September!!

AIMEE

Fitness Trainers

I certified with ISSA (International Sports Sciences Association) last year--their emphasis is on weight training, and the chemistry of nutrition. During some of the seminars--and most of the participants were in their 20's or early 30's--(I just certified for fun, not to do it for $$): during the breaks, the conversation was that unless you are well-known and in private practice, places like Bally's, LifeFitness, 5 Seasons, etc. pay top line instructors $30-35M a year. This is in Chicago.
That's not much--and that was Full Time!!! Of course, these clubs have to pick up Insurance expenses. That's all I know, since I don't actually work as a fitness professional.

Hi Cari! Hmmmm, you are the third person I know who has had this occupation and wanted to convert over to the fitness field. Is working with numbers that bad ;-)?

You have already received sound advice as to where to go to learn and establish the basics. So I'll just add some thoughts to this.

I would highly recommend getting involved in the fitness industry on a part time basis while learning the ropes to see if it is everything that you expected. While the pay ranges from exceptional to minimum wage, much of this depends on where you are located, your experience and ability, the size of the facility you work in and/or what it offers, as well as other factors. Also, some facilities pay for your continuing education while others don't. Continuing education is quite costly, as well as updating music, shoes, and fitness wear. So far this information applies mostly to you as a group fitness instructor and or personal trainer.

While it will benefit you to be experienced in all areas of the business before owning the business, as an owner you will be dealing with a whole new set of issues. Now you will be tapping into business, marketing and advertising skills as well as the biggie, employee management. Sometimes this end of the business takes you far away from what drew you into the fitness field to begin with.

I'm certainly not trying to dissuade you from pursuing your dreams but just pointing out some of the realities.

Many times on the way to pursuing your dream you find a different avenue of interest that you like better and go more in that direction. For instance, after gaining all of your knowlege as a personal trainer, you may find you actually like this field and pursue it further by working along side a doctor and help rehabilitate his patients through physical therapy (of course this would be after extensive education leaning in this direction). Or perhaps you find you connect with a certain educational topic, say nutrition, and decide to work for ACE or AFAA and present lectures nationally and internationally. See? There are so many options and directions.

Well, good luck with everything and please keep us posted! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.