"Barefoot" Workouts?

starlight6

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I was wondering what you think about the new trend of exercising barefoot or with the new "barefoot" shoes?

Thanks,
Ruth

I saw a woman running in the park the other day with those barefoot shoes and I was surprised. Maybe those barefoot shoes are great for running - I don't know. But they sure looked pretty darn funny to me. They remind me of monkeys for some reason.

There is just no way that I will use the "barefoot" shoes or even workout in barefeet. My feet are a precious commodity and I need all the foot support and cradling I can possibly get!

Barefoot?

Some of those shoes are so ugly aren't they? The reason I ask - in my 30 years of working out (& even just walking/working) my feet have never been happy in normal supportive shoes. The heavier or thicker the shoe, the more they hate them. They will often go numb and/or just ache after. I have to wear the thinnest socks I can find & the lightest shoes. I was told my feet were always like that, even as a child. So now there's all these new theories & possibilities, and I wanted to get the opinion of the smartest professional I know of, & her educated crowd.
I have tried doing a few cardioish things barefoot, & it takes getting used to even for me, but I like it! To be honest, I have always done weights bare or in the lightest shoes I could find.
Thanks for your answers!
Ruth

I did a lot of barefoot workouts before and after my bunion surgery. My doctor told me I had strong bones (of course that has to do more w/working out in general). The more mature I get the more I need to incorporate barefoot workouts, ie ballet and pilates (love Cathe's extra workout using the tower, I so take off my shoes for that) for flexiability.

I have a similar problem to you Ruth - whenever I did any high impact (or even low-impact if I did enough of it) in shoes, my feet would rebel, mostly by cramping up along the lateral arch and in front of the heel. Because of this I always exercised barefoot indoors, but because the soles of my feet aren't very tough, I could never run. I tried running in soooooooo many different types of shoes, from the most to least supportive, all different brands, but I wouldn't go half a mile and my feet would cramp up so badly I'd have to take the shoes off and hobble home barefoot. A couple months ago I bought a pair of Vibram Five Fingers bikila and I love them! I did my first 5k+ (had an additional 1-mile run at the end) on Memorial day and had no foot cramping. I wear them to do all kinds of outdoor activities, and run in them 3x/ week. It did take a little while for my leg muscles - particularly my calves, shins and the muscles around my ankles to get used to the running, but I'm sure that would be true for a beginning runner regardless of the shoe. Also, the balls of my feet felt a bit bruised on the bottom at first, but they've toughened up now :)

I think the VFFs are weird-looking, but kind of cool at the same time. If your feet are happier without shoes, I'd say give them a try :D

I have always worked out in bare feet. Athletics are just too heavy for me and plus I can't feel anything through the soles. Then I also have four cats that I don't need to step on. I am much more comfortable with out shoes.

Love Mine!

Not Cathe but I do enjoy wearing these for Pilates, Yoga and Hi/Lo floor workouts :D as well as around the house. They are wonderful for strengthening all the muscles of the feet.

I have two pairs - the classic, bikila and am eyeing the new 2011 line with lace-ups :p I also wear Merrell's and the style is similar (of course Vibram makes the insole for Merrells;)). Barefoot Running and Casual Shoes from Merrell - Official Site

The Vibram site has a forum which discusses uses of the different styles if you're interested...like running, biking, hiking, and other activites :eek:

MyBiks.jpg

vibram2011line.jpg

I also found cute flats to do with ballet/pilate workouts. As far as working out shoes, I found the lighter weight running shoes works best for me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.