barbells vs dumbells

KristaK

I have MIS and am planning on getting some more of Cathe's weight workouts. My question is this...what is the difference between the barbell and the dumbells? Do I really need to get a barbell? Can I use dumbells in place? I will get a barbell if I really need to.
Thanks,
Krista

Hi, Krista,

I think most exercises can be done with dumbbells. But, I've found that the barbell has helped me increase poundage. The heaviest dumbbells I can comfortably put on my shoulders are 12#ers and that's pushing it. When I hold 15#ers at my sides I feel like my arms are going to pull from their sockets, but I can comfortably carry 37 1/2 lbs on my barbell, even across my shoulders without a pad.

And, besides, having a barbell makes you feel SO buff and strong! :D

I like to use dumbbells. You won't be able to lift the same total poundage, but that's because you're working stabilizing muscles that you don't work using a barbell. Also, there is no way your strong side can help out your weaker side. For most exercises, I think dumbbells work as well as, if not better than, barbells.

Thank you both for your input. For now I will use my dumbells since I am just getting going. Then later I will probably get a barbell! I was thinking too that having a barbell would make me feel tough!!LOL
Krista

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.