IT BAND SYNDROME

Ro47

Hi,
Wondering if anyone has experienced IT Band Syndrome. I have been having this problem for about a year now. Have been going to physical therapy for months with some relief but have not done Cathe in a year. Also have tight hip flexors. Has anyone experienced this and if so what types of exercises have you been able to do and has anything or anyone(doctors etc) helped in recovering. Would appreciate any advice.. Thanks.

Since this is a question addressed to 'anyone' rather than to Cathe, I would suggest you repost it in the 'open forum.' I'm sure several forum members will have some tips for you (I do!). ;-)

Hi There!

I felt like I was the only person in the world with an IT band injury, and I suffered terribly for about 1 year, then symptoms dissipated once I figured out what I could and couldn't do. The docs don't tell you to stretch your IT band, which you should do frequently throughout the day. I used to run but that aggravated my IT band, so I stopped. I thought I would go crazy but I found other ways to workout that didn't aggravate my IT band (cycling was fine when I wasn't having a flare up, walking was fabulous). Weight lifting is one of the best changes that I made when I injured my IT band - my body has never looked so good. I am a personal trainer and an aerobics instructor, so I am not just your regular joe who works out 2x/week. I workout daily, and I workout hard, and I was able to modify my routines around this horribly painful injury. When you have a flare-up, force yourself to take time off, or yu will suffer longer. Remember to ice when you have a flare up and always always always stretch after you workout so you don't have a recurrence. Hope this helps! Debra Lanci

Hi,

Thanks so much for your post. I am learning that I need to stretch a lot more than I do. I used to walk about 4 times for an hour week before this started a year ago and do a rotation of Cathe workouts also. I can only walk now about 3 times a week and sometimes it really gets my leg going. I have not tried Cathe in a year. My PT says I need to stretch and we are now starting some strengthing exercises. Did you expereince front thigh pain and knee pain when your were hurting. My stretching seems to alleviate the side but the front of my thigh just keeps on being painful. Any thoughts? Thank you.

You are welcome, and sorry for the delayed response, but I've forgotten to check the replies! Ok, when you walk, make sure you're walking on a flat surface. If the surface is uneven, you will put pressure on your IT band, especially if the lower foot is the affected leg. Always make sure you have good footwear too - that's really important. My pain radiated from my front thigh, over my lateral condyle on the outer part of my knee, and down my calf. It was horrible, and I can sympathize with you. I can't emphasize enough how important it is for you to strengthen all of the muscles in your legs and the importance of stretching. I hope that your PT has given you good stretches to do too. Do you ice frequently after working out?

>what exactly is IT band
>syndrome?????????????????????????????????????

I would be interested too. I always hear that term and didn't really know what it pertained to. Does it have to do with your hips or is more legs?

I've been an avid exerciser for years and never had an issue until a little over a year ago. I noticed that after I did a run (especially a hard one) my right hip was extremely sore afterwards and for the next day or two. I wouldn't exactly call it pain, just really sore and kind of tight. And only the right hip, the left is fine. It happens every time I run, but rarely when I do other workouts (Cathe, etc.). Stretching helps a bit, but I'm still bugged by what would be causing this. Does anyone have a mini diagnosis?!

The IT band (illiotibial band) goes down the outside of the leg. It's a tough band, and resistant to stretching, so something like massage, or self myofascial release using a foam roller often times works best.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.