back muscle injury

bethellen

I consider myself a high intermediate exerciser. Within the last several months, I have been upping my weights in my workouts.
I went to my doctor on Tuesday this week because of pain in my lower back. He said it is not neurological and to rest (no exercise/yard work) for a week. He did say I could swim in my pool and go walking if it felt ok. He said then to take it easy getting back into my routine.
Here are my questions:
1. How should I take my workouts down a notch? I was doing the May rotation (with some substitutions) and stopped when I hurt my back. Of the Cathe workouts I have, I wonder if I should use these:
Low Impact Step/Total Body Sculpting
High Step Circuit
Low Impact Circuit
LowMax
Cardio & Weights
Wedding workout
StretchMax.

2. Should I try to work my core more often. I have to admit that I don't work it enough. I was thinking I should purchase CoreMax and work that into my rotations.

3. I recently bought the GymStyles. Should I hold off on these?

Now I am more motivated to continue to build my strength (especially in my back and core) but don't want to push it too far and get hurt again.

Beth

Hi Beth! I am sorry to hear of your back pain. I'm thankful that you went to the doctor to get it checked out.

It sounds like you have inflammtion and irritation that needs to first rest and heal up a bit. I suggest taking a week off (and if doc permits, taking anti-inflammatory meds) to help reduce inflammtion to the aggravated area. During this week do light stretching exercises for your back to keep it from getting stiff. Do your stretches in the middle of the day as opposed to first thing in the morning so that your back is more limber and less stiff. Ease into all of your stretches and eventually hold them for 15 seconds each. I suggest asking your doc for a physical therapy sheet of back exercises (or better yet, perhaps he can prescribe PT sessions for you).

Once you have rested a week, return to your exercises at a much less aggressive pace and eliminate all those exercises that even slightly irritate your back. Yes, strengthening your core will help but under a controlled pace. I think CoreMax might be too aggressive at this time. You will do best with basic physical therapy back exercises now. You need to build up a strong foundation of support before going to the more aggressive exercises. Definitely modify suspended straight leg positions that stress the low back. Exercises such as Supermans should be very helpful in conditioning your lower back (but check with your doc first) since they help strengthen the small lower back muscles that assist you later in the more advanced positions.

I would stay with less aggressive exercises for a couple of weeks and then little by little add some variations into your program. Too much too soon will invite a set back. Again, your best bet is to get a list of exercises for back conditioning from your doc and take it slow from there.

Listen to your body every step of the way! Good luck and happy healing!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.