arch in lower back

gettingfitmom

Cathlete
Cathe, any advice for us whos' lower back arches off the floor doing ball exchange, bicycle moves, etc.? Also is there a version of the Captain's Chair to do w/out equipment? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks, Kay

Have you ever tried using a two by four board and putting your heels on it? Some object maybe barbells etc.
It helps me.

Modify your range of motion so that you can control the position of your back by holding your abs in. As your abs (especially transverse abdominals) get stronger, you'll be able to increase your ROM).

You can do a move similar to a Captain's Chair by sitting on the edge of a chair or bench, leaning back at about 45 degress, and bringing the legs in and out.

Hi all,

I'm wondering if gittingfitmom means for those people (like myself) who have a more pronounced arch in their back, that it just naturally does not flatten out as easily? I know that I have trouble with certain moves that call for a flat back on the floor (like doing the hundred move where you drop down to 45 degrees). I guess one thing to do would be to put a thicker mat down for these exercises, I am usually too rushed and don't think to get out a mat. I just do abs lying on the rug in my living room.

Just wondering if that was what you meant, or if it is strictly an issue of needing to build up abs strength.

Tricia

Tricia...YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I definitly have a more pronounced arch and I CAN NOT get it flat on the floor for some moves. It pulls anfd hurts. I've tried a thicker mat, doesn't help. Any other suggestions???????? Kay

>Tricia...YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I definitly have a more
>pronounced arch and I CAN NOT get it flat on the floor for
>some moves. It pulls anfd hurts. I've tried a thicker mat,
>doesn't help. Any other suggestions???????? Kay

More instructors recently tend to tell you to brace the core to maintain your natural neutral position (which will be slightly arched for most people) rather than press the back down into the floor. The important thing is to hold that braced position, and not let the back arch more than that, going only to the ROM that allows you to do so.

Thanks, Kathryn.

That makes much more sense to me. Another thing I notice is a feeling & sound quite like a clicking in my lower back when doing moves such as taking my legs from straight up and down to the floor. She does this in Coremax as well as SJP, and the move after the bicycle in which you take both arms/legs in then out. My back makes some funky noises doing these kinds of moves. Does anyone else have these issues?

Tricia

> Another thing I notice is a
>feeling & sound quite like a clicking in my lower back when
>doing moves such as taking my legs from straight up and down
>to the floor...My back makes some funky noises doing these kinds
>of moves. Does anyone else have these issues?

I can't do certain moves (some pilates leg work) without my hips clicking/catching. But it sounds like your problem might be elsewhere. I suggest seeing a chiropractor to see what s/he thinks. You might benefit from some adjustments.

Ah, I see you're a night owl like me!! Now that you said that, I do believe it is coming more from my hip area. It's mainly the full leg extension moves - I really never have back pain or problems either. (But I do go once in a blue moon to get an adjustment, cause it's great!!).

So do you modify the moves on Cathe's routines, or just keep going? (For myself, it doesn't HURT, I just worried that something was wrong there...)

TIA,
Tricia

>So do you modify the moves on Cathe's routines, or just keep
>going? (For myself, it doesn't HURT, I just worried that
>something was wrong there...)

With any move that brings on the catching/clicking (which for me seems like it's coming from the front hip), I modify. The only one I recall having problems with is the ball exchange. I just do a more shallow ROM or go slower, whichever one helps get rid of the clicking. It's less of a problem if I make sure to keep a pelvic tuck, but with some moves, it's hard to concentrate on that and the move at the same time.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.