Ankle weights during step workout

danglinglight

Hi there,

Cathe (or anyone around): I'm not sure if this has ever been asked or advised, but... If I haven't been able to buy risers for my step and am currently doing your last series (BM2, LIC, DM, BG)... Is it OK to use ankle weights during the step sections if I'm feeling it's getting easier with time? Or am I prone to injury if I do so?

Thanks!

P.S. Waiting for the new ones!!!

I'm not Cathe... but I've heard that it's really not a good idea to use ankle weights for any cardiovascular exercise. Have you tried walking with them? I find the movement very awkward - the weights get in the way of a natural stride, and I think they also put to much weight on the front of the shin. That would definitely set me up for injury! Be careful!

I also don't think it would be a good idea to put ankle weights on during step. I think it would throw off your coordination, as well as put unnecessary stress on your ankles and knees. If you don't have the risers for your step, and are looking to boost your heart rate up more, try incorporating larger arm movements. You could also pause the step tape when you feel it is too easy and do a few jumping jacks or jog in place for a minute. HTH:)

As the others have stated, this is a very bad idea. The weight at the ankle puts undue stress on the knees. Particularly with something like step, which moves quickly and requires agility, this is a recipe for injury. Go get some risers, or step up your intensity with the addition of jumps (Cathe does this in most of her step workouts).

Thanks for your input guys!

And to think I was about to try it later today. I'll try some other modifications then.

Regards,

No, no and no! (In case anyone is still contemplating using ankle weights while doing cardio).

To increase your intensity, you can of course buy another set of risers, but you could also work on range of motion, go DEEP in the low squat moves, and reach HIGH on the lifting moves. Put in some plyometrics where there are none (ie: turn three-peaters into lifted moves).

You could use HAND weights to boost your cardio...
Grab 1lb hand weights, and go through your motions as normal.

It really kicks things up a notch, and you don't need to worry about joint damage since it's only basic arm movements that you're doing with step.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.