anaerobic/aerobic ????

momincharge

Cathlete
I know this educated crowd can clarify this for me. I realize working anaerobically vs aerobically is with or without oxygen respectively I am wondering (hopefully this is not too lengthy) what the benefits from pushing to that anaerobic threshold ( and if you should EVER train w/i that anaerobic zone when doing interval training)are? I realize it is too help a sluggish metabolism tune up but is this the only benefit from interval training? And specifically why and how does this work? Also, what are good guidelines to help you realize you have pushed your body to that threshold? Not being able to finish that 4 word sentence or what?? Thanks for any and all input in advance. I am trying to become a more educated crowd myself hahaha! :-jumpy

for the heart muscle

Anaerobic training helps strengthen the heart. Comparing it to weight work: aerobic work is like toning & anaerobic is like heavy weight training. Also the fueling system changes as your heart rate increases, less fat & more glycogen, so threshhold work helps train the body to use its finite glycogen supply more efficiently. High intensity work also burns a lot of calories.

But like heavy weight training, anaerobic work is hard on the body. One should have a good aerobic base & not do it too frequently. Every day isn't "race day".

Hope this unscientific answer helps.
Debra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.