Am i too overweight and old

cdessert

Hi everyone and Merry christmas

back in the early 2000's i was a major catheite. I lost alot of weight and it changed my life. After a few health problems over the past 5 yrs i have not been doing the enormous cathe collection and all my equipment. I haven't worked out regular for 5 yrs.. I go a week do a few.. and then quit. I used to have such Fire for those workouts cuz they kick butt and work. I gained 50 lbs in 5 yrs and now i'm ..omg 44.. those two things make me kinda scared .. Am i ready and capable of doing these workouts again. With serious modifications of course. My health if decent. Just overweight and a few thyroid problems.. and i'm OLD lol .. i sit alot.. :eek: watch alot of tv.. play with my animals.. i wanna not let this year go by without doing this for myself.. But am i too big and too old to venture into cathe pain again ?
thanks to all :)
Candi
:eek:

too fat, too old

I had gained about 35# in a 5 year period also. I couldn't workout like I used to either because of the weight gain. I gained weight because of lazyness & stress. I also watch lots of tv. I have lost 23# since June & all I have done is keep my calories under 1500 per day & I haven't been going out for supper. Once I lost 10# I was able to workout again w/o killing my self. You can still do this if I can. I am going to be 44 in 2011!!!!!!!!!!

good luck
Penny

You are definitely NOT too old or overweight to workout with Cathe!

Back in 2006, I (temporarily) lost the use of my left arm and ended up gaining alot of weight because I couldn't workout (and I ate too much). Two years ago, at the age of 43, I decided to change that. I started controlling my eating, and I got back into working out with consistency. I lost 50 pounds and truly felt (and continue to feel) that I found the Fountain of Youth.

My recommendations to you are to start back slowly and to start back with a plan. I think one of the things that helped me was that I started my weightloss/fitness journey just as STS was coming out. I locked myself in to the 6 1/2 rotation, and that kept me focused and determined for that period of time....and that is when I lost all of the weight. So look at your workouts and try to come up with a plan that works for you. You might even want to look through some of Cathe's rotations and see if some of those don't work for you. Once you come up with a plan, stick with it. Don't expect too much at first, and do what you enjoy (for example, I love lifting weights so I loved STS!)

Best wishes to you!

Hi everyone and Merry christmas

back in the early 2000's i was a major catheite. I lost alot of weight and it changed my life. After a few health problems over the past 5 yrs i have not been doing the enormous cathe collection and all my equipment. I haven't worked out regular for 5 yrs.. I go a week do a few.. and then quit. I used to have such Fire for those workouts cuz they kick butt and work. I gained 50 lbs in 5 yrs and now i'm ..omg 44.. those two things make me kinda scared .. Am i ready and capable of doing these workouts again. With serious modifications of course. My health if decent. Just overweight and a few thyroid problems.. and i'm OLD lol .. i sit alot.. :eek: watch alot of tv.. play with my animals.. i wanna not let this year go by without doing this for myself.. But am i too big and too old to venture into cathe pain again ?
thanks to all :)
Candi
:eek:

Hi Candi,

first, 50 lb. over 5 years, that's less than 1 lb. per month unless you gained a lot at once, that could happen to anyone I think, for me it was holidays that put on a couple each year that I could never get off.

You could try Cathe's Official Beginner Rotation:
http://cathe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236223
kept me on track for 12 weeks late in 2009, and I lost weight 10-12 lb of the 25 I wanted to lose. If it seems too easy, you could do 1-2 weeks of each part of the rotation for a total of 4-6 weeks to get you started.

I did an intermediate rotation based on that in March, substituting other Cathe workouts for a month:
http://cathe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273264
that really got me going, I continued losing weight and reached my goal of 25 lbs. It did not come off fast, about .5 lb a week. But it stayed off.

I did all my rotations 95-100% that means only missing a day or two each month. Start your new year out with a plan, your plan. If you can stick with it for at least 3-4 weeks you'll have a good chance of sticking with it a lot longer. I was older than you when I got started, ask your doctor if you have concerns, I had never done Cathe workouts before. Planning my workouts & sticking to rotations worked for me.

Eat a healthy clean diet, drink lots of water. Have a little patience and see it through.

As Cathe says in High Reps, Do it!

Linda:)

Candi - you're not too old and overweight! Congratulations on wanting to start again. I was 75 pounds overweight earlier this year, and I'm 51. I've been tracking what I eat and working out with Cathe, and I've lost 50 pounds. I have more endurance and I'm stronger than I've ever been in my life. And I can do more with every workout. It is totally possible!
Good luck - Dawn

You are certainly not too old or fat! The key is to stay determined and take it slow - don't try to rush into her workouts and keep up with her right away. I started up again about a month ago after years of not doing her workouts - I am 42 and 50 lbs. overweight and I have been doing all her workouts but I modify a lot to reduce the stress on my joints and to make sure I don't burn myself out. If I feel tired and achy I will take a day off here and there. The way I look at it is this, it took me years to get out of shape and it will take some time to get back into shape but I am not going to rush it. I have already seen major changes in my stamina and muscle tone. Take it slow and stay determined - you will get there.

Candi,
Congrats on posting your feelings on this great forum. I've read the responses and they are excellent, especially the links to the beginner and intermediate rotations. Thoughtful people here for sure.

I'll just address the age issue.. 44 is not old....maybe when you were 10 you thought people were old at that age ;) You need to see how working out and keeping in shape will serve you when you are 54, 64, 74, 84. If you start going downhill now, you'll be in really rough shape.

The more you take care of yourself now, the less you will have to rely on others to take care of you later. And, you'll feel so much better!!

Spend one of those television hours with Cathe or whomever. The animals will do without you for a little while too! (Let them take another nap!!)

Good luck Candi in 2011!!

I don't think anybody is going to agree that 44 is old. Sorry, thats not a pass.

I think you aren't feeling like it because of the thyroid issues. Are you getting enough iodine? They say that can help with thyroid.

I think that doing Cathe will help with your energy levels. I know it seems counterintuitive to work when you feel tired but just walking can help. And, there is no reason to start with Cathe when you are coming off of illness. Use other DVDs that are not as intense, walk, do some easy yoga (if you can.) Get used to the idea of moving more. It could be just 20-30 min. 3-4 days per week. You don't have to be a full on nutso Cathlete in the first week.

:D It was so nice to wake up this a.m. and read my responses. Thank you so much to all who replied. I know 44 is not old, but weighing 250:eek: and being 44 is alot different than weighing even 180 and in my mid & late 30's. I was kind of embarrassed to post my weight i guess. who wouldn't be :eek: I used to tear up with my cathe workouts, I have almost all of them and i still call her my all time favorite and saving grace back then. In any case i will start slow, not the girl i once was but i have to do this for myself. The complacency is a killer. Wish me luck all and thanks u again. Happy New Year to all :D

I remember from years ago, I was 40 at the time with arthritis, Anna Benson (the creator of the Firm along with her sister Cynthia) suggesting committing to 7 days then 21 days then 90 days of working out. And that science had shown that that time frame was what was needed to create a new habit.
That's how I started years ago and I still use that philosophy today.
Don't overwhelm yourself with a huge "perfect" fitness goal, just take it in small increments and then voila! A fitter healthier you.
PS at the age of 57 the bar keeps on rising as to what is too old. :)
PSS Although I love Cathe and do her almost exclusively for right now; I like Tracy Long's workouts as well for building strength and confidence... I consider her to be a Master Instructor just like I do Cathe and I like her as my go to instructor to build up to Cathe.

Last edited:
I know how you feel. I lost 40lbs from 2004-2006. But in 2006 I got sick and needed surgery for a condition and it took 2 years to get approval for the surgery, then it took another 3 months healing time. I hand gained about 15lbs from that alone. I was then gonna work my way back down on the pounds and up on the fitness scale. Well, then my immunity system went haywire. It took 2 years and lots of money to find a treatment that helped to manage it and then wham!!! someone rearended me. So getting a go time from my doctor I started working out again. I have 45lbs to get off and yep I'm now in my 50's too. But I managed to drop 7lbs. already, Yea!!!

Candi:
I agree sympathize with your concerns, and agree with Linda's and Cocob1's comments, as well as the others. Medical commentary in the media suggests that exercize and eating right are the best way to lose weight and to venture towards good health.

I'm not one to talk. During an eight-month period of overwork, and recently a bad cold, I finally am getting back into a regular exercize. During this period I did try to eat decently, but still strayed from the recommented 7-9 serving of fruits and vegatables.

In the past to weeks I have started to eat properly and to exercize. Though I am not overweight I notice I cannot lift what I was lifting last year. But what I am doing is to start with the basic Firm tapes every other day, and the other days in-between I am doing Cathe strength tapes. Thew Firm tapes are easy -- so they do not intimidate me -- and with the Cathe tapes I lighten up on the poundage -- again not to intimidate me. To start I am only exercizing for 30 min, but plan to lengthen this gradually. After I get back into shape, I will start doing some Cathe aerobic DVDs, instead of the Firm tapes.

Finally, I do DVDs that I enjoy... again as an incentive to hit the exercize room. Make sure you exercize every day, with one day off. Ps: I am 62 years old.
-- David

I

Candi, you have the inner strength to get back what you lost. Just the fact that you posted shows your strength. My hair is white and I don't even bother with dying it anymore, I am 56 but I feel beautiful on the inside and outside because I know I am on the right track with my life. I and my husband conquered a tobacco addiction a few years ago and I gained alot of weight and became so depressed I almost started smoking again and if not for my husband, I would have. I found exercise and it helped me feel stronger and healther in mind and body, but the real breakthrough was finding Cathe. She motivates me and I feel as though I am in her group doing the workouts with them. I have a routine and do my best not to deviate from it. In one dvd, Cathe says if you can't continue with the exercise "just do something!" Start your routine and do what you can and you will be amazed how much better you feel and how quickly inner and outer strength arrives. You have a "Cathe family" here ready to give encouragment along the way!

Kat

Wow - when I saw the subject line, I thought you were going to say you were in your 60's. Is 44 old? I hope not, I'm hitting it in June. I'm not going to bother to tell you to stop being silly about being too overweight and old... you know the answer to that. The only thing that holds us back is ourselves.

I agree, you....old? I don't think so, I am 53, almost 54 and dont consider myself old. Many things have been going on in my life, I lost my dog, then my dad and 15 pounds later, I am getting back to Cathe! I can't believe I have let myself do this, as far as getting so out of shape! Makes me angry actually. I was so fit, happy with my body, my life. Now, I feel let down and unfit! It is hard to get back into it. I am happy now with 3 workouts a week. I know I need more. I know I need more cardio with my Cathe weights, but what I am doing is better than doing nothing. I will see results soon, and will add cardio then. Good luck to you, maybe we can follow each other!

Thank you Katie Lee

Kat,

I think I love you, lol. I'm grateful to Candi for starting the thread and thank you Kat for your post. It helps me as I have been lacking motivation lately (for a while really). But I've read your post several times and I could have written parts of it, but the motivation toward the end is wonderful and just what I need to think about to get my behind off the couch and in the basement with my workouts.

Thanks again.

Thanks Tracy, When I read the title of this post I knew I had to respond as this hits so close to home. I am so proud to be a part of this forum and fitness life and will share my heart to inspire and uplift my fellow Cathletes.

Kat

I'm 62 and am on my 4th run thru STS. I have a whole stack of cathe workouts I do, and I didn't even "find" her until I was in my late 50's. So, emphatically, NO, you are not "too old". I hope to be doing these workouts for a long time yet.

Start slow. you don't want to injure and get set back by going too quickly. Just walking is fine to toughen up those deconditioned body parts. Get on a diet that works for you to help trim some pounds. Check in here for advice and support. You can do it by being honest and consistent, and doing the work you need to do.

No, you are not too old or too overweight, but you will have to listen to your body and may have to modify as needed.

You can still enjoy many of Cathe's workouts without necessarily doing them as presented. High impact can be taken down a notch (or two, or three), and weight workouts are adaptable by using lighter weights, maybe longer rests between sets, maybe a slower pace: whatever you need to challenge yourself without pushing too hard and risking injury.

And I agree with many others: 44 is NOT old (this is from a 53-year-old who is close to 54). You're only old at 44 if you think you are (and some people are, while others are still 'young' at 60), so get that thought out of your head, get moving (wisely), and start taking better care of yourself, pronto!

Congratulations Candie!

You will be just fine. It may seem overwhelming as the beginning of anything can but you will persevere. Life is peaks and valleys but as Dr Phil says "life is manged" so take it one day and one hour at a time. You have the most amazing support and encouragement here. We all have our good and bad days. I am 54 soon and always just take each day with my Cathe dvd's as a victory. I did it and I will do it again. Enjoy the journey of pursuing excellent health.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.