Am I doing too much?

alison13

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I was just reading your post on how you like to workout. Currently, I had been doing 30-45 minutes cardio x 6 days every week. Also, each of those days, I do 15 minutes of ab work. Also, every other day, I do upper body weights or lower body squats, lunges, etc. I've been doing this workout for 3 months, and haven't seen very much of a change. I don't want to lose weight, just get more toned. I eat alright...but not perfect.

What do you think about what I have been doing? It seems difficult to sort through all the exercise do's and don't's on the internet. Can you help? I'm going to start your beginner rotation on Monday (I haven't done Step for a LONG time). Will that get me closer to my goal in 3 months?

Thanks so much for your time.

Alison

Hi!!! Not Cathe here, but you kinda sound like me. I finally had to switch it up and REALLY watch what I eat. I was w/o 6 or 7 days a week, weights every other day (topping out at about 12lbs for arms and 20 for legs), and abs everyday. Was busting my butt and getting nowhere.

I now do 2 days of cardio, normally a step then a kickbox, then a day of full body weights. I always do abs on weight days, and every now and then on a cardio day, if I'm feeling ambitous. I personally don't think its good to do step for all your cardio or to do abs everyday. And I really pay attention to what I eat. As cheesy as it may be, I started a food diary, and I let my hubby look at it at night. Knowing that someone else is going to read it, really helps me watch what I put in my mouth. I've dropped 10lbs and 1 size in 8 wks, and can definately see more definition.

So for me at least, doing heavier weights, but less often, and mixing up my cardio has really jump started me. Its not always about working hard, its about working smart. My cardio is still prob the same intensity as it was before but my weights have gotten more difficult. And my body seems to be really responding. And I never really knew how much I was eating. All the twizzlers, popcorn, M&M's, etc lying around on the lunch table at work really add up. So REALLY watch what and how much you put in your mouth. And I think more importantly, find a routine you can stick with. I was getting bored, now I'm having fun again, and I seem to have found a metabolism. I used to have the metabolism of a rock!! So, I hope my ramblings help some. Good luck!!! Hang in there, it will come!!! Or go, as the case may be:)

Not cathe here.

It doesn't look like your doing to much but maybe you are not doing right.As Cathe often says during the work out it is important to pay attention to your form. You have to make sure you are really using (squeezing and contracting) the muscle you are working.
But results do take time.
I also agree with the first reply that sometimes using heavier weight can really break a plateau. And the food diary is also a very good suggestion. To build muscles your body needs the proper nutrients. Working out can't compensate for the effects of a bad diet. A few years back I was working out like crazy but not eating enough and like you I didn't see any results. It turned out that my body was using my own muscles for protein which means that everyday I was using up the same muscle I was trying to get.
Like you I am not trying to loose weight (though I did loose some) but by doing Cathe's work out I have reached my goal of being toned in about 3 months.
For good reference you should read finess for dummies, I learned a lot in it.

Hi girls,

Thanks for your advice. I understand what you're saying, I'm just not sure if that's what's going on with me or not. I eat enough for sure. And I have been striving to get more protein in (I used to not eat much meat). I don't think I eat too much either--I haven't changed my shape since highschool/college. I just sick of being "soft".

Cathy, when you say you got toned in about 3 months, what Cathe workouts were you doing? I'm looking at the beginner rotation, and I could be wrong, but it looks like it may be too easy for me. I'd like to hear more about what you did.

Thanks so much for your replies!

Alison:D

I don't think your response is cheesy at all. I think having your husband look at your food diary every night is great, not only for your fitness program. Your husband sounds like a very nice and supportive man and you are very lucky.

I agree about working smarter and not harder is the key to results.

I was all about cardio, cardio, cardio and would not do any weight training unless it was part of a circuit workout.

I had definnitely hit a plateau and knew I had to change things up.

Now I do one day of cardio only and weights the next. For example I did Rhythmic Step the day before yesterday and I did Maximum Intensity Strength yesterday.

Tonight I plan on doing an all cardio workout again.

I still dislike Kickbox and I do not think I will ever love it. I have to force myself to do a kickbox workout, but the results of my efforts makes me incorporate kickbox into my workouts at least sometimes.

I agree - it is not good to do all step for cardio or even all kickbox for cardio.

It is a truth about workouts - at some point you have got to change things up or the results begin to dwindle.

I don't think your response is cheesy at all. I think having your husband look at your food diary every night is great, not only for your fitness program. Your husband sounds like a very nice and supportive man and you are very lucky.

I agree about working smarter and not harder is the key to results.

I was all about cardio, cardio, cardio and would not do any weight training unless it was part of a circuit workout.

I had definnitely hit a plateau and knew I had to change things up.

Now I do one day of cardio only and weights the next. For example I did Rhythmic Step the day before yesterday and I did Maximum Intensity Strength yesterday.

Tonight I plan on doing an all cardio workout again.

I still dislike Kickbox and I do not think I will ever love it. I have to force myself to do a kickbox workout, but the results of my efforts makes me incorporate kickbox into my workouts at least sometimes.

I agree - it is not good to do all step for cardio or even all kickbox for cardio.

It is a truth about workouts - at some point you have got to change things up or the results begin to dwindle.

sorry it took me a few days.

well I have been doing the work outs with fit TV. Every day it's a different one so it is very varied. Some days it is cardio others strength training.
Here are some they show regularly (it seems they are repeated every month or so) Boot Camp, Imax, Pyramyd lower and upper body, the slow and heavy serie, kick punch and crunch, cardio and weights, core max...

you can check what's on fit tv on www.fittv.com go to the weekly schedule (she is on at 7 am Et and then again a couple other time during the day)

I checked and it looks like the rotation on fit tv is closer to the intermediate that Cathe recommends.

the weight I use are lighter than what she does (I mostly use 5,8 and 10 lbs dumbells and for leg work a 25 lbs plate). I don't have a barbell yet but that's a project once I have a bit of money (those are not cheap). I also need to get 12 and 15 lbs soon since I can feel sometimes at the end of the reps that I could have gone heavier.

btw i don't eat much meat either but I make sure to get enough protein with vegetarian alternative. And whenever possible I choose whole grain version be it crackers, bread, cereal even pasta. I eat lots of veggies. I buy fat-free dairy and dressings.

Hope this will help you.

sorry it took me a few days.

well I have been doing the work outs with fit TV. Every day it's a different one so it is very varied. Some days it is cardio others strength training.
Here are some they show regularly (it seems they are repeated every month or so) Boot Camp, Imax, Pyramyd lower and upper body, the slow and heavy serie, kick punch and crunch, cardio and weights, core max...

you can check what's on fit tv on www.fittv.com go to the weekly schedule (she is on at 7 am Et and then again a couple other time during the day)

I checked and it looks like the rotation on fit tv is closer to the intermediate that Cathe recommends.

the weight I use are lighter than what she does (I mostly use 5,8 and 10 lbs dumbells and for leg work a 25 lbs plate). I don't have a barbell yet but that's a project once I have a bit of money (those are not cheap). I also need to get 12 and 15 lbs soon since I can feel sometimes at the end of the reps that I could have gone heavier.

btw i don't eat much meat either but I make sure to get enough protein with vegetarian alternative. And whenever possible I choose whole grain version be it crackers, bread, cereal even pasta. I eat lots of veggies. I buy fat-free dairy and dressings.

Hope this will help you.

Cathy,
Thanks for your reply! If I understand correctly, you're saying you got toned just by doing her workouts consistently, not in any special order. It's weird, sometimes I think there's this perfect rotation that you have to do in order to get the body you want. But the truth is probably more like you just have to do SOMETHING everyday and eat clean. Thanks so much for your reponses! It's very encouraging!

Alison

>sorry it took me a few days.
>
>well I have been doing the work outs with fit TV. Every day
>it's a different one so it is very varied. Some days it is
>cardio others strength training.
>Here are some they show regularly (it seems they are repeated
>every month or so) Boot Camp, Imax, Pyramyd lower and upper
>body, the slow and heavy serie, kick punch and crunch, cardio
>and weights, core max...
>
>you can check what's on fit tv on www.fittv.com go to the
>weekly schedule (she is on at 7 am Et and then again a couple
>other time during the day)
>
>I checked and it looks like the rotation on fit tv is closer
>to the intermediate that Cathe recommends.
>
>the weight I use are lighter than what she does (I mostly use
>5,8 and 10 lbs dumbells and for leg work a 25 lbs plate). I
>don't have a barbell yet but that's a project once I have a
>bit of money (those are not cheap). I also need to get 12 and
>15 lbs soon since I can feel sometimes at the end of the reps
>that I could have gone heavier.
>
>btw i don't eat much meat either but I make sure to get enough
>protein with vegetarian alternative. And whenever possible I
>choose whole grain version be it crackers, bread, cereal even
>pasta. I eat lots of veggies. I buy fat-free dairy and
>dressings.
>
>Hope this will help you.

Cathy,
Thanks for your reply! If I understand correctly, you're saying you got toned just by doing her workouts consistently, not in any special order. It's weird, sometimes I think there's this perfect rotation that you have to do in order to get the body you want. But the truth is probably more like you just have to do SOMETHING everyday and eat clean. Thanks so much for your reponses! It's very encouraging!

Alison

>sorry it took me a few days.
>
>well I have been doing the work outs with fit TV. Every day
>it's a different one so it is very varied. Some days it is
>cardio others strength training.
>Here are some they show regularly (it seems they are repeated
>every month or so) Boot Camp, Imax, Pyramyd lower and upper
>body, the slow and heavy serie, kick punch and crunch, cardio
>and weights, core max...
>
>you can check what's on fit tv on www.fittv.com go to the
>weekly schedule (she is on at 7 am Et and then again a couple
>other time during the day)
>
>I checked and it looks like the rotation on fit tv is closer
>to the intermediate that Cathe recommends.
>
>the weight I use are lighter than what she does (I mostly use
>5,8 and 10 lbs dumbells and for leg work a 25 lbs plate). I
>don't have a barbell yet but that's a project once I have a
>bit of money (those are not cheap). I also need to get 12 and
>15 lbs soon since I can feel sometimes at the end of the reps
>that I could have gone heavier.
>
>btw i don't eat much meat either but I make sure to get enough
>protein with vegetarian alternative. And whenever possible I
>choose whole grain version be it crackers, bread, cereal even
>pasta. I eat lots of veggies. I buy fat-free dairy and
>dressings.
>
>Hope this will help you.

yes that's correct. I try to be active at least 30 min a day every day. I do cathe's workouts on average 5 times a week. I use to tke days off on saturdays and Sundays but I have recently switched to Tuesdays and Thursdays. One or 2 days of rest are important too. And those 2 days I only take a 30 to 45 min walk.
What's important is finding a routine that you enjoy and can keep long term.

yes that's correct. I try to be active at least 30 min a day every day. I do cathe's workouts on average 5 times a week. I use to tke days off on saturdays and Sundays but I have recently switched to Tuesdays and Thursdays. One or 2 days of rest are important too. And those 2 days I only take a 30 to 45 min walk.
What's important is finding a routine that you enjoy and can keep long term.

Some advice I got that worked was....never have any workout be the same. For instance if you did Cathe's MIS, the next time you do it, change something, even if it's using 10 lb dumbells for only 1 set of one exercise that you previously used 8 lb's for. Having this in mind it just makes you more aware of pushing yourself a little more each time.

Some advice I got that worked was....never have any workout be the same. For instance if you did Cathe's MIS, the next time you do it, change something, even if it's using 10 lb dumbells for only 1 set of one exercise that you previously used 8 lb's for. Having this in mind it just makes you more aware of pushing yourself a little more each time.

That's a good idea too--for the past several months, I was doing the same workouts and using my elliptical everyday. I would change the intensity and the program, but I don't know if that was different enough. I was getting kinda bored. That's when I found Cathe again! I had tried her workouts in my teens, and I had injured my knee around that time, so the step aggravated it. Ten years later I decided to try it again, and I love it! I can even use the 8" height!

You gals sure have a lot of great ideas--thanks so much.

That's a good idea too--for the past several months, I was doing the same workouts and using my elliptical everyday. I would change the intensity and the program, but I don't know if that was different enough. I was getting kinda bored. That's when I found Cathe again! I had tried her workouts in my teens, and I had injured my knee around that time, so the step aggravated it. Ten years later I decided to try it again, and I love it! I can even use the 8" height!

You gals sure have a lot of great ideas--thanks so much.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart.

hi, girls, i love this thread. i am 52 and am having a really hard time getting my belly and middle down. have just started doing cathe and i love her. i have been a firmie for about 20 yrs and i guess i need something else. cuz i just am not seeing any change at all. so, is there any good advice for me from any of ya'll?:)

oh and i am also cathy with a "y".:D

Trust in the LORD with all your heart.

hi, girls, i love this thread. i am 52 and am having a really hard time getting my belly and middle down. have just started doing cathe and i love her. i have been a firmie for about 20 yrs and i guess i need something else. cuz i just am not seeing any change at all. so, is there any good advice for me from any of ya'll?:)

oh and i am also cathy with a "y".:D

>
>Trust in the LORD with all your heart.
>
>hi, girls, i love this thread. i am 52 and am having a really
>hard time getting my belly and middle down. have just started
>doing cathe and i love her. i have been a firmie for about 20
>yrs and i guess i need something else. cuz i just am not
>seeing any change at all. so, is there any good advice for me
>from any of ya'll?:)
>
>oh and i am also cathy with a "y".:D

Hi!
I'm not sure I can help much because I'm still working on getting my belly gone too... I have read though, that you can't burn fat in one particular area just by working the muscles in that area (eg. crunches..) I've read that you have to do enough cardio to burn the fat off everywhere in general. Then when you work the muscles in a particular area, you will be more defined. But that same article also said you may not be able to get a flat, toned tummy because it just might not be in your genes to do so. I'm not sure how big of a role your genes play. Might be worth some research though...

I have noticed that as I have been doing cardio 45 minutes 6 days a week, and then also doing crunches, etc. and my stomach is more toned and my husband noticed too...Oh, I started eating better too!

Good luck!
Alison

>
>Trust in the LORD with all your heart.
>
>hi, girls, i love this thread. i am 52 and am having a really
>hard time getting my belly and middle down. have just started
>doing cathe and i love her. i have been a firmie for about 20
>yrs and i guess i need something else. cuz i just am not
>seeing any change at all. so, is there any good advice for me
>from any of ya'll?:)
>
>oh and i am also cathy with a "y".:D

Hi!
I'm not sure I can help much because I'm still working on getting my belly gone too... I have read though, that you can't burn fat in one particular area just by working the muscles in that area (eg. crunches..) I've read that you have to do enough cardio to burn the fat off everywhere in general. Then when you work the muscles in a particular area, you will be more defined. But that same article also said you may not be able to get a flat, toned tummy because it just might not be in your genes to do so. I'm not sure how big of a role your genes play. Might be worth some research though...

I have noticed that as I have been doing cardio 45 minutes 6 days a week, and then also doing crunches, etc. and my stomach is more toned and my husband noticed too...Oh, I started eating better too!

Good luck!
Alison

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.