alternative to lat pulldowns

ChubbyChick

Hi,
Other than the lat rows...what other back exercises can I do at home? What's a good alternative to lat pulldowns? No pull ups please, I couldnt do those if my life depended on it.

I do pull overs. While laying down on the bench you hold one dumbell in both hands and slowly lower it down over your head then slowly lift it up to about mid chest. My description is probably awful, but Cathe does this one in S&H chest and back.

:) Stacy

You can also do pullovers with a Barbell. Hands approximately shoulder width and elbows bent at a ninety degree angle. Start out in a position similar to a bench press then just keep your elbows bent and go back. Kind of hard to explain but a good exercise for the lats that can be done with home equipment.

Try a seated row: You use an exercise tube, wrapped around your feet and pulled so the elbows move back while the shoulder blades are squeezed together. It can be done with dumbbells but feels different and the tubing makes, I think, for more stability. The tubes are inexpensive and wonderful to take on vacation if you can't get access to weight training equipment.

You can do a lat pulldown variation with resistance bands. Hold your arms up as if in the top position of a shoulder press. Pull down one arm to do a 1-arm lat pulldown. You may need to double the band or get a heavy band to get enough resistance.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.