Allergic Reactions?

Hi To anybody who can help me out here. Today at my bar-b-que, I was eating and as I was chewing my food, my throat, face and mouth started to swell. I started sweating and got nauseous. I went to the E.R. and I had to get shots. I feel better, but everybody is telling me NOT to workout tomorrow. I say, if I feel better why not? Can anyone help us settle this dipute?

Thanks,

Aimee

First of all who is EVERYBODY? If it was medical professionals at the ER, I'd follow the advice. If it was a bunch of relatives who don't know beans, ignore their admonitions and work out if you feel like it. I think we'd established before that your relatives can be pushy.

My opinion, for what it's worth.

I'm not a medical professional, but it sounds like this was a serious reaction where they had to give you shots for an anaphylaxtic reaction. I've had these before, and your body needs a break from the shock it got. Take a break from working out today. Also, you should go get tested for food allergies. Just my opinion! Take care :)

Diana

Do they know what you reacted to? As Diana says, this was a serious life-threatening situation - if a patient comes into our hospital with that kind of symptomology it is considered an immediate emergency! I'm a little confused as to what caused it. Has it happened before?
I say go with what your body tells you. If you decide to miss a day it won't make any difference to your fitness! You are the only one who can say how you feel. Just my opinion! :)

I'm in the medical field and I say follow the instructions of the docs at the ER. Sounds like a pretty serious anaphylaxis to something, glad you're doing ok. Did they give you an Epi-pen in case this happens again?? If not, I think it would be a good idea.

My two cents,

Stacy

Hi guys!! Nope, we don't know what caused it. I had a plate with 3 things on it. Teryaki chicken, broccolie casserole, and fruit salad with whipped cream and marshmallows in it. I had taken a bite or two of each when I started to feel my throat swell up. This has NEVER happened to me before!! It spread very quickly to my lips and face and I got knots in my glands. This really scared me and by the time I was in the waiting room I was in tears. They didn't give me an Epi-pen, just the shots and said to come back if it didn't get better or got worse. I'm feeling better and I ended up doing IMAX. Thanks guys for the opinions, because, like I said, this has never happened tome before. I was clueless. Thanks again!!

Aimee

Hey AImee. I am so sorry you had to go through that. It is very scarey, isn't it? Especially the first time...you totally have no clue what the heck is going on!
Since they didn't give you an Epi-pen, I just wanted to suggest that you keep liquid benadryll around. Ask your doc about it next visit. Glad you are well!!

Thanks Kristina!! That's exactly what my grandmother suggested. That was one of the shots that I got, so I believe that I will be picking some up!
Thanks again!!

Aimee

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.