alcohol

tboman

Hi Cathe,
I am trying to lose the weight that I have gianed since I got a "sit down" job. I usually eat pretty good but need to be more consistent with exercise. I would like to tone my whole body. How many times a week should I do aerobics or weights. Also, I drink about 10-12 alcoholic beverages a week. Could that be a big reason why my weight won't budge. I have tried slim fast for 5 weeks and lost maybe one pound. What about birth control pills. I have been on them for 12 years. I have just gained weight in the last 4 years. Can that be a reason why my weight won't budge? I am 5'3 and weigh 149. I would like to get back to 125. Any feedback from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tracy

Hi Tracy,
Obviously I'm not Cathe, but for my 2 cents :)
The alcohol could be a big part of the equation. They're plenty high in calories (depending on what you're drinking, could be added sugar too), & my understanding is that alcohol is not metabolised easily by your body, but seems to have the alarming property of turning mainly to fat!

You don't state your age but if you've been on b.control pills for 12 years, you could be approaching that age when your metabolism starts to slow down without your even noticing it (at first!) Then, the sit down job is the icing on the cake, especially if you don't exercise consistently as you say.

The recommendation for weight loss is cardio, working up to 45-60 minutes every day (or 5-6 days at least), preferably first thing in the morning. Weight training, twice a week for each major muscle group, with at least 48 hours rest between same muscle workouts.

The experts here (especially Cathe of course) can tell you a lot more, but that's the basic formula, along with eating clean of course.

Hope that helps a little,
Good luck, Ruth

When I started drinking beer (a decade ago when I was in my mid-20's) I quickly gained about 10 lbs. Ten years later, I'm still trying to lose that darn 10 lbs!!! I would definitely give up the alcohol while you're trying to lose weight. Maybe treat yourself twice a week to a drink. But in my opinion, alcohol can definitely cause weight gain. Just my opinion.

Hi Tracy!

I'm not Cathe either but I'll throw my two cents in here too. Sit down jobs can really challenge you to keep from gaining weight if you've been used to an "active" job where you're on your feet & constantly moving. Adding more aerobic activities to your life will certainly help conteract this job inactivity. 30-45 min. 3-4 times a week is a great beginning. As for weight lifting go for it! Build those muscles & you'll burn calories while you're sitting! Cathe's Pure Strength tapes are wonderful for muscle building. I'm also looking forward to all her new tapes.

I enjoy alcohol too but think of it this way, 10-12 alcoholic beverages per week = 10X12oz.(beer) 120+ ounces of empty calories. Anyone have an estimate of calories per twelve ounce can? My refrigerator is empty at the moment. That's a lot of empty calories. I've given up Dr. Pepper for that exact same reason plus I don't need the caffeine. I'll allow one a week if I'm really craving it. And yes, I do enjoy an occasional beer or two or three plus a margarita now & again.

Aerobic exercise is great for burning calories & keeping your heart healthy. Weight lifting is great for the bones & developing muscle mass to help burn calories too. But a healthy diet with minimal empty calories plays an even larger role in losing &/or maintaining body weight. Remember this is a journey, a lifestyle not just a quick fix scheme.

Good luck! We're all in this together!
Kay

Caloric content of beer

A 12 oz beer has about 150 calories. That's 1800 empty calories per week if you have 12 drinks! So if you cut that out of your diet, you could lose a pound every two weeks. In general, one serving (i.e. 6 oz wine, 1 oz shot of liquor) of an alcoholic drink has about that number of calories, but sweet cocktails can be much higher.

I enjoy having a glass of wine with dinner, but I know that adds a lot of calories...

Caroline

As I understand it, alcohol itself doesn't really turn to fat, but it keeps your body from metabolizing fat (and also tends to give you muchies, so that you crave simple carbs and fatty foods). Since you have a sit-down job, you'll have to try to get as much "action" in as you can...walk a few doors down to someone's office instead of sending an e-mail; go for a walk for 1/2 of your lunch time; take short 5-10 minute exercise breaks during which you can do squats or lunges, or walk up stairs (I recommend taking the elevator down, to spare knees); or do some other exercise. Also, diet-wise, many people who want to lose weight tend to eat too little, then splurge later on. Try dividing your calorie consumption into 5 small meals (I read somewhere that your body can't metabolize more than about 500 calories at a time, and that any excess is more easily stored--and the human storage system is FAT!--I don't know if that's true, but it makes some sense to me.) Most recommendations are for 5 small meals (or 3 meals and 2 "snacks"per day, never letting your body go more than 3-4 hours between meals.

Not Cathe either. Same problem as you guys. I am cursed living in the heart of the wine country in California. It's wine this and wine that and I love a good glass of Chard or Pinot Gris. You have wine with the business lunch, wine with dinner, wine, wine, wine. Couple that with a job that has me chair bound and 10 pounds later, I'm a chunkette. The only reason I have not gained more is because, like the rest of you, I continue to have a fitness program in place. I hate giving up my daily glass of wine, but it's gotta go. Bye bye Fetzer, so long Sterling. sniff-sniff.

D.

I agree with much of what's already been said. Another thing to consider is that the alcohol coupled with the Slim Fast may be giving your body a serious one-two punch in terms of too much sugar. There's a ton of sugar in Slim Fast (which is one reason I avoid it) and most alcoholic beverages also have a high sugar content. So, as said, you might think of cutting way back on either, or better yet, both.

Instead of the alcohol and Slim Fast, why not try increasing your water consumption instead? OK, OK, I know--in the case of alcohol, it's not nearly as much fun! (I like a glass of wine or two myself on occasion!) Maybe try fruit, whole grain carbs (like pretzels), yogurt or another healthier snack in place of the Slim Fast.

Anyway, these are just some thoughts. And of course I'm not Cathe, but as she's been known to say on occasion, feel free to take it or leave it. Good luck! :):):)

pretzels

Just a comment--pretzels aren't usually whole grain, but are made from refined white flour. Granted, their appearance is deceiving because they are dark, but that's only on the surface. If you look at the nutritional information, you won't find much fiber in pretzels.

RE: pretzels

I agree with Kathryn. Also regular pretzels are loaded with salt which can cause water retention. Boo hiss! Ever noticed all the wonderful salty snacks often served free at bars? Ya get thirsty then you drink more! Sneaky people! No offense to bartenders, my son is one! He makes a mean margarita too!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.