Advice re: maintenance

lala1

Cathlete
Cathe or anybody!! I posted this under open discussion, but thought I might get a better response here. So anyone, chime in.:)

I need some advice re: maintaining my muscle gain and aerobic capacity. I am going to be doing an intense 6 weeks masters program which will leave me minimal time for working out (especially the first 3 weeks). I will be swimming for my cardio and there is a great weight room, but I won't have even an hour a day. I'm looking at 3 times/week to work out. (I usually go at least an hour/day). It seems I read somewhere that to maintain my strength gains, I can lift 1 set to exhaustion, but I don't remember how many times/week.

What do you guys do? And what can you recommend? thanks.

I'm in a similar situation as you. I've been doing the following for 2 1/2 weeks. I'm holding on so far....maybe it will work for you too. I haven't changed my eating at all - meaning I haven't given up any treats. I'm not under the stress you might be though.
I do cardio(as best I can, which is not much with this broken toe) 3 times a week for 20-30 minutes. I work each body part 2-3 times a week for 5-8 minutes with weights as heavy as possible keeping proper form. I work in abs 3 times a week 10-20 minutes whatever time allows. Also on leg work days I work them HARD.
I planned a rotation with all these criteria, plus my time limit of 1 hour. I would think once you get a rotation you could stick with it for 6 weeks and be fine.
I have a little more time on the weekends, so I use that to make up a little of what I feel I slighted during the week.

Best of luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.