Accuracy of BMI for muscular women??

sunsdaughter

Cathlete
Dear Cathe,
I have a question about the accuracy of the BMI for muscular women.
My BMI always calculates to be around 27.5 (in the overweight range). However, I don't really think I'm overweight (in the sense of having excess body fat). I'm very active (not a bodybuilder or elite athlete by any means)...I run at least 4 days a week and I do weight training. I have very muscular legs, hips, and backside (it's genetic). People are always surprised when I tell them how much I weigh...they expect me to weigh 20-30 lbs less! With that being said, I've never had my % body fat calculated, so I don't *really* know that I'm *not* overweight, but w/all the exercising I do (not to mention the really healthy eating), I just don't know how seriously I can take the BMI calculation.

At what point does the BMI stop being accurate for people who have more muscle?

Thanks so much, Cathe!!

sunsdaughter, you sound like my twin. I've wondered that exact thing and sound physically similar to you...people guess my weight at about 30 lb less than what I weigh, or they insist that the scale is broken. I always heard that BMI is a better measure of health than weight, but it doesn't make sense to me because BMI is based on body weight. It seems like I've always had more muscle than the average woman, and I've always weighed more, which results in my frustration with myself, because I always feel I have to fit within a certain "range" to be ideal.

Curious to hear answers as well. I've tried to research fitness/bodybuilding magazines and websites but have found no info regarding this.

Holly

I don't think it's accurate for muscular people. I recently heard on the radio that Tom Cruise and Russell Crowe are considered "obese" using this BMI calculation.

Danielle

Hi Holly!

I know exactly what you mean!! Sometimes I get SO frustrated w/myself for the same reason you mentioned....I feel like I'm supposed to fit into this certain range, too. I would love to hear what Cathe has to say about it....I've heard that the BMI isn't as accurate for athletes and bodybuilders, but does that same rule apply to women who just happen to be more muscular than the average?
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one out there w/this same question! :)

RE: Hi Holly!

The BMI makes no sense to me. Take your height and weight and calculate your BMI. Isn't that just a height/weight chart??? What makes the BMI different from a height/weight chart?

I just came from a website that calculated my BMI for me.I ended up being on the higher end.And I was thinking the same thing that you are thinking.I am not over weight, but I have muscular thighs,I take a size 5 in pants and small in t-shirts.There is no way that I could be close to being over weight.The way the BMI just made it look was as if I gained 2 more pounds I would be in the over weight range.
Makes no sense to me either.Perhaps it is just for people who don't work out:)
Lori

Wow! This sounds just like me. My BMI is 27.4 but I wear a size 9-10. Granted, I could stand to loose 10-15 pds., but I don't think I'm as overweight as the chart says I am. I told a friend what I weighed and she gasped! She thought I was 20 pounds less. I have friends who are taller, weigh less, and wear larger size clothes. That BMI chart would really frustrate me. I am glad to know it's the chart and not me!! I know I feel better after reading all your posts. Have a great day.

Denise

RE: Hi Holly!

Yes, I would think that the BMI inaccuracy would also apply to women who are more muscular than average, but I've never seen anything about this. You'd think someone somewhere would have researched this issue! I would think a better calculation would be one that takes into account your body fat % and your measurements and completely disregards body weight, at least for people who work out a lot and eat healthy.

I'm glad other women can relate because I've felt like a freak of nature for quite some time. :)

Adding one more to the chorus of "BMI SUCKS!!" LOL Indeed, I'm not skinny, but I'm certainly not obese. No one I know (besides you lovely ladies here) can do the workouts I do, and lift the weights I do. Sheesh....stupid medical establishment...always messing with our heads!

Hollie

Y'all are making me feel SOOOO much better!
Get thee away from me, BMI calculation!! :)
Here's to strength and endurance and knowing we look good!

I so agree with everyone. I don't think BMI is accurate for those of us who work out regularly and eat healthfully. My BMI is almost 'overweight' and my weight is more than people would guess for my body.
I say, take it with a grain of salt. I don't thinkit's correct for us.
Kathy

RE: Shoot the scale

I haven't consistently weighed myself in over 3 years, and any "scientific" calculation that only looks at scale weight and height is bogus. Thus I have as little interest in "BMI" as I do standard height-weight tables.

And in case anyone's interested, I wear a size zero in a skirt, and chow down at least 2000-2500 kcals a day.

a-jock
scale-hater to the end

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.