Abs or Muscle

Hi Cathe,

I'm one of your many admirers :)at 4 Seasons who does Body Pump once a week for the overall workout and muscle conditioning. I lift normal weights 3 times a week and try to bike and run enough to burn off the fat that is so easy to get when you're over 40. My question is this: I could put on another 5 lbs. if I tried and it would increase the size of my upper body and a little in my lower body, but my body fat would go up, and while my waist would still be at least average in size, I'd lose the abs I work so hard to get (not that they're that good). What do you think is more appealing to the female species--a little more muscle with a little gut, or a lean middle? I met this new girl who is a beach bum like me and she's got a body to die for and I want to know before the beach weather hits (and I hope it's soon)!

Steve

Hi Steve! Increase the weights of your normal lifting routine and also change the order of which you perform these exercises within each body part (ie: if you always start chest with a bench press, then start with a bench fly and then go to bench press). These two changes will stimulate new progress and increase lean muscle mass. Keep doing your core exercises along with this and will be on your way to more chiseled physique as well as a lean and defined middle. Wishing you a fun filled summer ;-)

this seems a little disrespectful for a public forum. Would you say this to Cathe in person? I take offence on Cathe, and all women's, behalf: her body is not there for your private delectation you know.

Clare

Well, from his original question, he doesn't seem to bright anyway. I definitely felt it was rude and inappropriate to ask the second question. I am usually not easily offended but this certainly did.

Kinda freaky that he goes to her gym, Four Seasons.

I don't think he meant to be rude -- men are just visual creatures. In the last few weeks here's 2 comments I received: I've been running into the spin class 10 min. late so some of the men tease me and say if I keep this up I'll be buying alot more 1 piece bathing suits. Also another man asked when am I going to lose the heavy sweatshirts and wear some summer outfits.

P.S. Women at the gym always ask why I wear long pants to the gym and not shorts. So go figure!

Jeez, ladies....relax. I've been reading this forum for 3 weeks and it sure looks like a lot of you have no sense of humor. You guys take everything so personally. So what if the guy flirts with her? What's the difference between him flirting with her and having your husbands in love with Cathe? Big deal. If she takes it personally, let her. If not, let it go. Y'all are way too uptight. You might want to work out a few hours more a day to get the stick out of your butts.

Well, I would like to say, that everyone reads and interprets things differently. It just seemed out of context since Cathe's response to his first question was very conservative and professional. Unfortunately, the written word can be taken the wrong way whether through email or on forums. So it is very likely that he didn't mean it in a rude or derogatory way, so if that is the case, I apologize for jumping on him.

As for Maverick, your post was without a doubt, intentionally rude and uncalled for. Everyone else disagreed in a more appropriate manner (this helps people see things from another perspective), rather than telling us to get the "stick out of our butts". Remember, everyone is entitled to there opinion. What one finds offensive, others may not. I did find your post totally offensive. Enough to really rethink ever coming to these forums. So, Maverick, thanks a lot!

entirely uncalled for. We have a sense of humor, perhaps it just does not match with his, or yours, but it does not mean you can verbally assault us for stating our opinion.

Boo hoo woo, Michele. I don't care what your opinion of rudeness is. You have to admit a lot of people are very dry and have no sense of humor. That is my opinion so leave it as that. If you have an opinion, fire away which I am sure you will. It's not going to change a thing.

Sarahs, don't you think you were just as rude with the "didn't seem too bright" comment? I hate it when threads go this way! It sounds like the guy knows Cathe, so why can't he make a cheeky comment??!! In my opinion, people who can't lighten up put other people off coming to this forum.

I'm probably just making it worse, so I'll stop now!

Sharon.

Well, Sharon, since you couldn't leave well enough alone, I think I had already acknowledged in my other post that I could have taken his post wrong and if that is the case than I am sorry. It just seemed very out of context and creepy. It is not that I can't "lighten up" but again, as stated above, things can be taken the wrong way. So, I apologize for my reaction to his post. I didn't realize that he knew Cathe and I wish I never even posted. I never said what I wrote was the correct thing to say. Sometimes, I guess we should just keep things to ourselves. Now, will everyone be happy?

GET OVER IT ALREADY!

Jeeze, everyone needs to lighten up a little here! Let's not be so picky about what is said & how its said. We all know that when things are written they can be taken out of context of what the person typing meant to sound like.

PLAY NICE!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.