? about form with med. ball

Cid

Cathlete
Hey Cathe! I have a 10 lb. med. ball (found it on sale, couldn't resist even though it's heavier than the one used in the Intensity Series) and I feel a lot of shoulder strain when using it for supine ab work. Rather than extending my arms over my head as you do, I either bend them at the elbow so that the ball nearly touches the top of my head or I bring the ball to my chest and sort of push the ball up to my feet as I lift with my upper body. Am I making any sense? My question is am I sacrificing results by modifying the form? Should I lower to a 5 or 8 lb. dumbbell so I can stretch my arms over my head as you do? I'd love to know since one half of me says, "do it like Cathe!" and the other half says, "your abs need the heavy weight work!" Off to do Boot Camp!

God Bless,
CinDee

CinDee,
I'm obviosly not Cathe...but I've seen a medicine ball exercise just like you describe (starting lying down with the ball at your chest, then reaching the ball toward your feet while bringing the feet up) in a recent copy of one of the women's fitness magazines (Muscle and Fitness Hers, I believe, so not a "girly" workout magazine).

I'm finally posting to say thanks for the info. I was just concerned that eliminating the upper body range of motion would somehow hamper results. And Cathe, if you see this, I'd love to hear your take on it.

Thanks,
CinDee

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.