Ab workout and lower back pain...

gettingfitmom

Cathlete
Cathe, I have trouble with the ab moves that involve having the legs off the floor as you crunch or sit up, this really bothers my lower back. Any suggestions on substitutions? I usually just do a crunch,but feel like I should be doing "more". Thank you!!!!!!!!!! Kay

Not Cathe, but whenever possible do the knees-bent modification if the legs are indicated as being straight. For others, keep just your heels on the ground.

Hi Kay! Here are some effective suggestions to keep the moves more comfortable for your lower back.

While crunching, keep one leg down on floor while the other is elevated (the higher up the elevated leg is lifted the easier the move)

-OR-

Rest both legs on top of a chair or on top of a stability ball

-OR-

Keep both legs down while extending one arm straight above head (not toward ceiling) while the other remains bent behind the head (to offer head support)

Cathe, I have trouble with the ab moves that involve having the legs off the floor as you crunch or sit up, this really bothers my lower back. Any suggestions on substitutions? I usually just do a crunch,but feel like I should be doing "more". Thank you!!!!!!!!!! Kay

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.