Update on Lion?

WB and Lion

Right now we're just down to an audio sync issue with Lion. If the problem is with our code we can fix this just as soon as we figure out what is causing the problem. If the problem is with one of the open source tools we're using in the Workout Blender we will have to wait until it is updated by their developers. How long this will be is hard to say. It could be fixed tomorrow or months from now.

Lion Update - 1-6-12

We have discovered the the audio sync issue that is preventing us from releasing the MAC Lion Version of the WB is caused by a library component we use in the the WB. The developers of this library have just announced that they will be releasing an update soon that will fix the audio sync problem. As soon as this is done we should have a working Lion WB. Keep your fingers crossed, shouldn't be too much longer.

OH great! I can't use workout blender right now either and am on a mac. I can't wait! How exciting, I will start to order more downloads too when I can use the workout blender :) Love my Cathe workouts!

Nope, no news yet, but fixes like this usually move at a snails pace. We do know it is currently being worked on, but we haven't heard any rumors on when it will be completed.

WB and Lion

Developers working on open source projects don't usually give updates. They only publish their work once it is complete. Once that is done our developers will implement their fix ASAP, but no way of saying when that will be. It could be tomorrow or months from now.

Well, that's not good news. I don't understand why this is so difficult if it's just an audio sync. People with old pcs have been able to use the Blender forever, and if I'm not mistaken, Cathe is a Mac person, like myself. So I don't get the hold up. I've been really patient, but I would really like to be able to put together my own own workout mixes. I have two Macs (one with Lion, the other with Leopard) and I've NEVER been able to use the Blender. I feel totally left out, and I know I'm not the only one.

This is not as simple as you may think. Video editing software is anything but simple. Without the help of the open source community it would be impossible for any one but a very large company to develop a product like the Workout Blender because it would cost millions to develop and would require a huge team of developers.

Also, the Workout Blender does work fine with Snow Leopard. Only Lion is a problem. If you had a problem with Snow Leopard it probably means you have a first generation Mac with, if I remember correctly, a dual processor. There is a known and documented hardware problem with these machines that prevents one of open source components in the WB from working. Even when the Lion version of the WB is released I doubt the WB will work on these machines that have this hardware issue.

Thanks for answering my question. Unfortunately, I am on Leopard, NOT Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro. I will never get Snow Leopard as I have a small home recording studio and am in the process of upgrading everything straight to Lion. My iMac already has Lion. I realize this is not a priority for you (and I understand why), but if you read the threads, there are a lot of other faithful Cathe-ites who are also pining away for a chance at the Workout Blender. I'm wondering if I can skip past all of this waiting and try to use iMovie (or is it iDvd?) to create something similar to the WB. Don't know if I can still chapter it, but at least I'd finally have some mixes. Just a thought.

What I think you don't understand is we don't have anything to do with the development of the open source tools we use in the WB. We only control our own code, not tools like ffmpeg which are written by volunteers on the open source development team. Until they release the Lion version of the tool we use in the WB, there is nothing we can do. It's not that it is not a priority, we just can't proceed until we have the updated tool we need. Until, then we just have to wait.

Oh, okay, now I get it; thanks for explaining. We need to find some young hacker kids to figure this out then. They seem to know how to do just about everything :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.