Which iPod Classic?

hiho322

Cathlete
Not sure if this is the right part of the forum to post on, but here goes:

I'm in the market for an iPod Classic, so all my Cathe workouts (as well as my music of course) will fit on it. Which one should I get? I saw on a thread here that the 6th Generation version of the Classic had been tested and works well with the downloads, but I think there's a 7th Gen. out there now. Anyone know? And if so, what's the difference? I have an older, 4th Generation iPod Nano, so I'm a little out of the loop on this.

Thanks so much!

Annie

The "newest" Classic is referred to as the 6th Generation (Late 2009) version, and technically is the same as the previous version except it is only available with a 160 GB hard drive opposed to the earlier model's 120 GB drive. Both will work fine with our workouts, but I'd recommend getting the newest you possibly can because the batteries in these devices do have a defined and definite lifespan. Buying an older model already takes time off the battery's life and you will just end up having to send it out to have a new battery installed, which is not inexpensive.

That being said, here's a little "ad" from me: As an iPod/iPhone user myself, based on personal experience, I'd highly recommend going the iPod Touch route instead. The iPod Touch does not have quite the storage capacity of the iPod Classic, but has the definite advantage of NOT having a hard drive, which has always been the weak point of older iPods as they are susceptible to the same problems as computer hard drives (bad blocks, damage from dropping, banging, etc., and failure). Plus, the iPod Touch is a much easier device to control video with, is thinner, lighter, and with it's solid state memory is not susceptible to the problems of hard drives. Anyway, that is my unsolicited opinion which does not necessarily represent the opinions of Cathe dot Com. :)

Last edited:
Curt, thank you very much for the information. I'll def look into the iPod Touch because of what you said; however, I'm a Mac girl with a MacBook Pro and an older iPod Nano. I really need as much space as possible so I can travel with my Cathe workouts and all my music, so I'm leaning towards the iPod Classic. I don't ever run for exercise or go to the gym or do anything else where the device would get shaken. So I'll prob wind up getting the Gen 6 iPod, Thank you so much for all you said!

Best,

Annie

I think the confusion is coming from the fact that Apple refers to the current iPod Classic as the 6th Generation (Late 2009) model, but Amazon and some other retailers refer to it as the 7th Generation iPod Classic. You can check Apple's site or Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Classic) for an explanation of the models. Rest assured, the model Amazon refers to as 7th Generation (http://www.amazon.com/Apple-classic-Black-Generation-NEWEST/dp/B001F7AHOG) and what Apple refers to as the 6th Generation (Late 2009) are identical.

Thanks so much for clarifying that - because that's where I saw it listed that way, on Amazon! They should really have their information listed properly, instead of misleading us.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.