iPads! The (almost) perfect Cathlete gadget

Vee

Cathlete
Seen the announcement of the new iPad? :cool:

Seems like the equivalent of what a laptop is to a computer for DVD/TV/Music System/++. It has Wi-Fi, 3G and aplications include reading books (like Kindle), watching video, listening to audio, email/browsing, watching TV broadcasts and supports applications so you can use it ostensibly for simpler PC uses such as word processing!

I wish ALL workouts would be available as H.264 downloads. I would love never having to buy another dvd.

The things I like are that it has built in speakers (can be used without headphones) and has bluetooth support (can be used with bluetooth headphones). For 3g phone features, the SIM is not locked to any specific network, so you can use it with any provider.

If SNM were to make downloads available in both one file or multi-file options, the iPad comes with itunes (playlists are supported) for those who want to mix+match their own workouts.

What I wish it had - support for an external usb flash/hard drive for additional content. Otherwise it seems like such a PERFECT device.

OMG! I can't wait for this... I have been checking the apple website about 100 times a day waiting for this to be released...It's driving me crazy :) !!! I hope I don't have to wait in line like I did for the Iphone..
Tracy

I'm not liking the name of the iPad, just doesn't work as well as iPod and iPhone. I lusted for an iPhone but I'm just not feeling the love for the iPad. :(:rolleyes:

I think not feeling the love will be a good thing.

On closer look, some things seem incomplete about the iPad. It doesnt multi-task. The USB port is on an uptional attachment. I wish it had been integrate into the device. I am not sure you can print directly from the iPad (though technically, if you have the printer driver on the iPad and pulg in the USB adapter which they call a camera adaper, it should work).

I feel the love, but plan to wait until the next model when they will iron out the kinks hopefully.

iPad

Apple is a shrewd company. Don't think for a second that the iPad is lacking in certain areas because Apple just hasn't gotten to it or hasn't thought of it. (or is unable to do it) On the contrary... Apple has left room for newer models, version & software. More sales, more money. I will wait for at least TWO ipad models to come out before even considering to buy an iPad. Even though they do look cool!

Apple is a shrewd company. Don't think for a second that the iPad is lacking in certain areas because Apple just hasn't gotten to it or hasn't thought of it. (or is unable to do it) On the contrary... Apple has left room for newer models, version & software. More sales, more money. I will wait for at least TWO ipad models to come out before even considering to buy an iPad. Even though they do look cool!

I second that!!! I bought an iPhone 3-4 years after its initial release (first there was no 3g, then there was 3g but the cam was below average, then they fixed the cam but you could not shoot video... now you can shoot video and the iPhone has a faster processor... go figure!!!).

There's a brilliant site to check for Apple product updates and when is the best time to buy something (iMac, iPhone, iPod etc...):

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

In any case, unless I had money to spend, I'd wait for at least the first release plus 2-3 updates on the device before I'd invest in an iPad.

Chris.

I second that!!! I bought an iPhone 3-4 years after its initial release (first there was no 3g, then there was 3g but the cam was below average, then they fixed the cam but you could not shoot video... now you can shoot video and the iPhone has a faster processor... go figure!!!).

Isn't that true of most electronics makers and software makers? The revenue model is based on releasing successive upgrades. I concede, Apple has been extra-shrewd with deliberate obsolescence. I dont buy Apple's no-flash-support argument for the iPad. And yet...I plan to get an iPad (Version 2)! With all their craftiness, I still find their devices have something special in terms of design.

Last edited:
Isn't that true of most electronics makers and software makers?

Yes it's industry standard. I'm not feeling the love for iPad. They're reinventing the wheel. Media players have been around for a decade now. It's time to move on to new technology.

Oh, I'm not thinking twice before I buy something from Apple (iPod, iMac, iPhone)!!! When you buy a PC, 5 seconds after the purchase its value drops by 50% :(... at least Apple products have a good resell market value. And once you get something from Apple (unless you're a tech freak) it's likely that you will be using it for many years (as opposed to PCs where new technology surfaces every 3 months or so...).

When the versions and add-ons on iPad settle down, I'll get one for my mom so she can read without struggling to hold a hardback book up... :D

Apple tends to be fairly genius in their marketing. This type of computer has been available in the PC version for quite a while. My DH has used them at work for a couple of years, at least. Apple makes one think that this is the first one of its kind.

I have an iPad here in my hands at Cathe dot Com, and I will tell you all it is a wonderful device for viewing Cathe's video downloads! Chapters are clearly shown with thumbnails in a scrolling list on the left when needed, and the video looks great on the 10" LED backlit screen, which is bright with saturated colors. It is quite possible to use the iPad in substitution of a TV or computer screen while you are working out. Don't hesitate to buy one and load it up with your CatheDownload videos!

And let me say, on a personal level, that I have owned and used a couple different tablet PCs for years—and this has nothing to do with Apple's marketing prowess—but the iPad is revolutionary and is nothing like any tablet computer you've ever used before. The iPad IS the first of its kind.

I've made the comparison that if they were cars, the old-style tablet PC with its stylus and slow-to-respond interface is like driving a 1950s pickup with a hard bench seat...you're driving it, but when you turn the wheel or step on the accelerator, it takes a few seconds to respond. You have no experience with the vehicle beyond being constantly jostled around and you can't wait to get to your destination because your butt hurts! :)

An iPad is like driving an expensive sports car, where the seats envelop you and you become one with the car. You seem to be able to control the car without thinking about what you are doing and it anticipates every move you want to make. When you turn the wheel or give it gas, it instantly, fluidly responds; you are connected and it feels like an extension of your body. And when you get to your destination, you feel like turning around and making the trip again just for the heck of it because it was so much fun. THAT is the iPad!

That being said, I'll go back to both devices, because they serve such different functions.

I'm just not on board with this gadget yet. The whole thing I liked about the Kindle and the Sony e-reader is that it is NOT back lit and actually looks like a printed page. I hate reading from a computer screen. It gives me a huge headache after a while, so for me to use the ipad as a replacement for an e-reader, it just isn't going to happen unless it has a setting that makes it function like a kindle and not just like a really thin portable computer monitor. The only thing I can think of that I would use it for would be the surf the net and I can just do that on my lap top. What am I missing about this gadget that is getting everyone so excited? If you used it for workouts, what would you do with it, prop it against your gym bag or something? It doesn't stand up on it's own does it?

Just wanted to say I am typing this post on my iPad right now. :)

I've had it since almost-day-one (had to wait for Monday UPS delivery) and absolutely love it. I don't use it for viewing my downloaded Cathe workouts but I could see that happening if I'm traveling.

It has become my total entertainment center, for listening to music, watching netflix and YouTube, browsing the web, playing games...and so on. I wish it had more productivity capabilities (a file management system, HELLO!!), but for now I'm more than extremely satisfied.

I actually started using an app to keep track of my workout DVDs and to plan my rotations...this has replaced my use of the Workout Manager on this site because it's soooo much faster and I can use it offline. Too bad it doesn't have cute little DVD images, but maybe someday we'll get an official Cathe Workout Manager app for the iPad??? I'd be glad to pay for it, for the convenience, even though the workout manager is free on this site.

Pretty please!!! :)

Just wanted to say I am typing this post on my iPad right now. :)

I've had it since almost-day-one (had to wait for Monday UPS delivery) and absolutely love it. I don't use it for viewing my downloaded Cathe workouts but I could see that happening if I'm traveling.

It has become my total entertainment center, for listening to music, watching netflix and YouTube, browsing the web, playing games...and so on. I wish it had more productivity capabilities (a file management system, HELLO!!), but for now I'm more than extremely satisfied.

I actually started using an app to keep track of my workout DVDs and to plan my rotations...this has replaced my use of the Workout Manager on this site because it's soooo much faster and I can use it offline. Too bad it doesn't have cute little DVD images, but maybe someday we'll get an official Cathe Workout Manager app for the iPad??? I'd be glad to pay for it, for the convenience, even though the workout manager is free on this site.

Pretty please!!! :)

HI! What app are you using for keeping track of your workouts?
Is it just for Ipad or do you know if the app is available on iphone too?

Thanks,
tami :)

I bought Bento ($4.99 for the iPad) and manually made two databases related to my workouts. One of them is my DVD library and one is the actual schedule of workouts. It's not a program specifically for workouts, because all the apps I saw that were in the Fitness/Healthcare section were geared toward gym workouts and not videos.

It's not the perfect solution...what I wanted to find was an app that let me put workouts on a monthly calendar while always showing my list of DVDs to one side of the calendar. There's a calendar app on the iPad and plenty of to-do organizer apps available, but nothing could do *exactly* what I was looking for. (If side-by-side window multi-tasking were possible, I could have just opened the Calendar beside Notes.) Bento, the app I'm using, has no calendar, so my workouts just show up in list format, sorted by date.

I'm not sure if this is available for iPhone/iPod Touch because I was only looking at iPad apps at the time. Just search for Bento and see what comes up! Or, since there are so many more apps available for iPhone than iPad (for now), there may be an app that does exactly what I described above which might work better for you. I would check in either the Business or Productivity sections as opposed to Fitness/Healthcare.

Hope this helps! :)

Hello,

I'm not the most tech-savvy, but that sounds cool, can you connect the iPad to the TV for the bigger screen?

I thought too it would be good to have an app for calendaring rotations & could only think of an old palm pilot that I liked, that would print out past months contents, that was years ago though, things are lightyears away now, but it had I nice look & feel to it. If it were Cathe's, I think an electronic stamp-like the stickers would be neat. As well as running workout time/ activity breakdowns for the week or month?

Linda

I have an iPad here in my hands at Cathe dot Com, and I will tell you all it is a wonderful device for viewing Cathe's video downloads! Chapters are clearly shown with thumbnails in a scrolling list on the left when needed, and the video looks great on the 10" LED backlit screen, which is bright with saturated colors. It is quite possible to use the iPad in substitution of a TV or computer screen while you are working out. Don't hesitate to buy one and load it up with your CatheDownload videos!

And let me say, on a personal level, that I have owned and used a couple different tablet PCs for years—and this has nothing to do with Apple's marketing prowess—but the iPad is revolutionary and is nothing like any tablet computer you've ever used before. The iPad IS the first of its kind.

I've made the comparison that if they were cars, the old-style tablet PC with its stylus and slow-to-respond interface is like driving a 1950s pickup with a hard bench seat...you're driving it, but when you turn the wheel or step on the accelerator, it takes a few seconds to respond. You have no experience with the vehicle beyond being constantly jostled around and you can't wait to get to your destination because your butt hurts! :)

An iPad is like driving an expensive sports car, where the seats envelop you and you become one with the car. You seem to be able to control the car without thinking about what you are doing and it anticipates every move you want to make. When you turn the wheel or give it gas, it instantly, fluidly responds; you are connected and it feels like an extension of your body. And when you get to your destination, you feel like turning around and making the trip again just for the heck of it because it was so much fun. THAT is the iPad!

That being said, I'll go back to both devices, because they serve such different functions.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.