DVD Trade-In

emvolkin

Cathlete
Why can't we just trade in all of our Cathe DVD's for the downloads? Or atleast a certain percent off? You could probably resell them pretty easily. Have you considered that option? It was'nt that long ago that I owned all of the Cathe VHS videos and sold those to help pay for the DVD's. Now I own all of the DVD's and would like the downloadable version without having to pay for what I already have on DVD.
Eva

Why would that be an option? They are already cheaper than the dvd's. It wasn't that long ago when I had cassette tapes, I couldn't trade them in when cd's came out. I couldn't trade cd's in when itunes and downloadable music came out. This isn't any different. It's just another step in the technological world, and either we can all hop on and deal with the price of that, or hang back until we can. I know I will be selling my own dvd's if I want the downloads that bad (which I probably will eventually).

Why would that be an option? They are already cheaper than the dvd's. It wasn't that long ago when I had cassette tapes, I couldn't trade them in when cd's came out. I couldn't trade cd's in when itunes and downloadable music came out. This isn't any different. It's just another step in the technological world, and either we can all hop on and deal with the price of that, or hang back until we can. I know I will be selling my own dvd's if I want the downloads that bad (which I probably will eventually).

ITA. I highly doubt anyways that Cathe and team have time to deal with the logistics of collecting thousands of used DVD's and trying to re-sell them.

Why can't we just trade in all of our Cathe DVD's for the downloads? Or atleast a certain percent off? You could probably resell them pretty easily. Have you considered that option? It was'nt that long ago that I owned all of the Cathe VHS videos and sold those to help pay for the DVD's. Now I own all of the DVD's and would like the downloadable version without having to pay for what I already have on DVD.
Eva

Why don't you do the same thing that you did with your VHS videos? Sell the DVDs and buy the downloads if you want the downloads.

What does Cathe have to do with you wanting downloads instead of DVDs now?

I just can't believe all those posts about it lately. Where is your common sense, people? Do you go back with your old CDs that you bought and ask for free downloads on iTunes?

Eva

Any business transaction has to be a two way street. If customers are not willing to pay for a new service, like Cathe Downloads, then it doesn't make business sense for us to spend the money and time developing new products and technology. This plus the fact that used DVDs have absolutely no value to us since we can have new DVDs made for less than $1 each, purchasing used DVDs is just not something we're interested in.

To help consumers who already have all of our DVDs we're offering two Grand Opening specials and have lowered the prices on all downloads when compared to our DVDs.

I know that it's hard for people to understand. Just like with my ipod, I was able to download all of my CD's onto my ipod at no extra cost. This is totally legal and compliant with copyright laws because I paid for the DVD once which gives me the right to download it on my personal ipod and use the music, that I already paid for once, in anyway that I want to for my personal enjoyment. Where it becomes illegal is when people try to sell it.

I also own an Apple TV and already downloaded my DVD's onto that at no extra cost.

I hate to break it to you guys who think that you are getting a good deal on media that you already paid for once, BUT-I tried to download Cathe DVD's onto ipod and apple TV and couldn't because Cathe's DVD's are like the only DVD's that have this funky codex thing that is like impossible to decode. It even took their own company 2 years working 24/7 to break their own code so that they could have these downloads available. The technology is out there, but Cathe company decided to block it, thus forcing us to HAVE to buy the downloads if you wanted them.

All I wanted to be able to do was to take all of my Cathe DVD's and download them onto Apple TV and make a playlist out of the different chapters so that I could make my own custom workouts. Just like I am able to create playlist with my favorite songs from multiple CD's.
So, I know that it sounds "stupid" asking to trade in DVD's, but atleast other companies, you have the ability to downlad music and media that you already own onto your apple TV or ipod at no extra cost. The reason I recommended "trading in" DVD's, was to prove that you already own the media and already paid for it once.
Higher quality companies do allow free upgrades.

I have successfully converted some of my Cathe DVDs and loaded them onto my ipod. The process was no different from any other DVDs that I've converted. But it does take a fair amount of time and work.

For certain workouts, I would be willing to pay a second time to not have to spend the time to do the converting myself. This is particularly true for workouts that I use for traveling.

I just can't believe all those posts about it lately. Where is your common sense, people? Do you go back with your old CDs that you bought and ask for free downloads on iTunes?
ITA!:confused:

You wouldn't ask a store to give you a credit for your old pair of jeans when you go to buy a new one, would you?

I would so love to be able to trade in my old VHS movies for DVD's as well. But I somehow wouldn't feel right asking. So if I want the higher quality and versatility, then I guess I'd better be prepared to pay for it.

Why do people always want something for nothing??? It never fails to amaze me! I have not had any problems converting my Cathe dvds to digital so I can use the workouts without wearing out my dvds. Yes, it's time consuming, but if you're willing to do it, it can be done! There's nothing complex about it!

So, I have to agree with Lori and Kathryn and everyone else who has commented basically that it's just wrong to expect ANY company to just up and give you the newest technology in equal exchange for your old stuff!

A great example is your computer. As soon as you walk out of the store with a brand new top of the line model, there's already another new one available and you still have to go buy it if you want it, at full price. The only way to get any compensation for your old computer (or dvds) is to sell them on e-bay or craig's list, etc.

I know that it's hard for people to understand. Just like with my ipod, I was able to download all of my CD's onto my ipod at no extra cost. T...........................
So, I know that it sounds "stupid" asking to trade in DVD's, but atleast other companies, you have the ability to downlad music and media that you already own onto your apple TV or ipod at no extra cost. The reason I recommended "trading in" DVD's, was to prove that you already own the media and already paid for it once.
Higher quality companies do allow free upgrades.

Have you considered the economies of scale? A company with a large user base can afford to let you download for free if you bought the media. Workouts are an entirely different niche market. Workouts dont sell as many copies as a music album. To give you downloads, Cathe needs to spend on:
a. Developing the downloads website
b. Server space to store digital content
c. Bandwidth to allow users to download content
d. Support staff to sort out issues of consumers who face technical snags
If she was selling a mass market product she may be able to afford giving downloads as an entitlement to those who buy the media. The economics of offering downloads free to those who buy the media may not be a viable business proposition.

Cathe is copyable

It does take some time, but the CATHE DVD's I have are copyable - for my own personal use.
I always make a copy to put in the safe - just in case something happens....break, burn, melt....whatever.

Once they are copied....I save them to an external hard drive.

Of course, I won't be able to make my own workouts with cross-DVD's (if that technology ever comes about)....but I only want to save my investment by having backup.

I love CATHE.....She makes my day!!!

I am not implying that I want something for nothing. You can keep those comments to yourself. Money is not an issue with me. And how can people compare jeans to downloading DVD's? If you want to compare jeans to DVD's versus downloads, then it's like having designs put on your old jeans. It's using the technology that's already out there and improving on what we already have. It's like adding certain desired features to a car rather than junking the old car and buying a new one. It contributing to a greener society as well.
Some people obviously have nothing better to do than to criticize others opionions. Do you think this makes you a better person? Do you have that low of a self esteem that you have to criticize other peoples comments to make yourself feel better about yourself?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.