Download or DVD?

jancpa

Cathlete
I was going to purchase the three Gym Style DVDs, but I am thrilled that I came across this downloading thread first. Is there any reason to go with the DVDs versus the downloads? The cost savings make it seem obvious to go with the downloads, but I want to make sure I am not missing anything.

I know a lot of the DVDs have premixes you can access that are not available by download. However, at some point, they are supposed to activate the Workout Blender so those who have the downloads (I have all of them in digital format) can create the premixes. I really don't miss not having the premixes. I like the ease of using the downloads and that I can take my workouts anywhere on my iPod Nano. It also saves on space, which we are sorely lacking in and I already have tons of movie DVDs!

Don't know if this helps you any, but it's what's working for me! I love the downloads!

When is the workout blender going to be activated???

The idea of mixing workouts together seamlessly was the main reason I purchased the downloads....and a new fancy ipod, that I really didn't need in the first place.

Ah, lesson learned! ;) I still have not told my hubby that I can't mix things because that was how I convinced him to let me purchase.

xx, Denise :D

I know a lot of the DVDs have premixes you can access that are not available by download. However, at some point, they are supposed to activate the Workout Blender so those who have the downloads (I have all of them in digital format) can create the premixes. I really don't miss not having the premixes. I like the ease of using the downloads and that I can take my workouts anywhere on my iPod Nano. It also saves on space, which we are sorely lacking in and I already have tons of movie DVDs!

Don't know if this helps you any, but it's what's working for me! I love the downloads!

I can't wait until the blender is available!! My theory is that they are hoping to have it ready in April to package it with Shock Cardio downloads - just guessing --- HOPING more! :)

Denise LOVE the picture of you and Cedie! sooo cute!

Have the gym styles downloads and love taking them to the gym. The downloads are chaptered so you could select the workouts you want to do.

I also downloaded STS Meso 1 and wished I would have bought the DVD's because I am not the most deligent person and easily distracted. I am finding I can't stay on track with STS. I can't sell the downloads to get any money out of them. The Cathe DVD's hold there value for resell.

Hi Jann!!!

I pray your "theory" is on the money!!! I really can't wait to be able to mix up all the old routines with the new ones!!!

Thanks!!! I love that pic too!! All those girls are such a blast and it is a priviledge to meet them in person.

xx, Denise :D

I can't wait until the blender is available!! My theory is that they are hoping to have it ready in April to package it with Shock Cardio downloads - just guessing --- HOPING more! :)

Denise LOVE the picture of you and Cedie! sooo cute!

How do you watch them at the gym?

I do Cathe Step aerobics at home, but everthing else at the gym. I do a lot of weight training, cardio equipment, and spin at the gym, so I only have the Cathe Step DVD's and the step at home. I would love to do some of Cathe's weight dvd's though, like the sts series. I'm having trouble deciding download or dvd. I prefer dvd's because you always have them and don't have to worry about your computer crashing or anything like that. However, if I do the dvd's you have to do them at home, which means I'd have to buy lot of equipment, especially for the sts series. Seems silly to spend a fortune for the equipment when I'm a mile away from the gym and they have nice equipment that I'm already paying to use. Not to mention, if I bought the equipment, I'd have to store it somewhere and move it into the living room everytime I did a workout. I don't have a room that I could leave it set up in.
So if I get the downloads, I can put them on my ipod and take it to the gym. However, how do you watch the ipod and do the exercise at the same time? I can't figure it out. I always listen to music but can only figure out how to watch it if I'm doing a cardio equipment. I have my ipod in a iSkin case that clips to my belt. I can get an arm band, which I don't really like but could deal with if necessary. However, I still don't see how I could actually see the ipod while I'm doing a chest press, lat pull down, pull up, bicep curl, etc. Is it mostly listening? If I was doing it at home on the tv, I can see how it would be easy to watch the tv and do the exercise.
I can't make up my mind. I hope someone can help me.
Thanks,
Sherri

I do Cathe Step aerobics at home, but everthing else at the gym. .......So if I get the downloads, I can put them on my ipod and take it to the gym. However, how do you watch the ipod and do the exercise at the same time? I can't figure it out. I always listen to music but can only figure out how to watch it if I'm doing a cardio equipment. I have my ipod in a iSkin case that clips to my belt. I can get an arm band, which I don't really like but could deal with if necessary. However, I still don't see how I could actually see the ipod while I'm doing a chest press, lat pull down, pull up, bicep curl, etc. Is it mostly listening? If I was doing it at home on the tv, I can see how it would be easy to watch the tv and do the exercise.
I can't make up my mind. I hope someone can help me.
Thanks,
Sherri

Sherri,
I do not weight train with Cathe at home for precisely the same reason you said. I dont have nor wish to deal with equipment at home.

I have taken Cathe workouts on an ipod nano worn on a wrist band (made by Marware) to the gym. I cant see video while working out if I use an arm band. The ipod may as well be on the clip at my waist. On my wrist I can catch peeks as I workout, but even so I mostly rely on verbal cues. I preview the workout before attempting it at the gym the first time because of the issue with not being able to watch constantly while working out. Cathe cues quite a bit even on weight workouts, so between occasional peeks and mostly audio cues, I manage fine at the gym.

If you can find the right type of band for yout ipod, why dont you try one Cathe download at the gym and see if you like it? A single download is not as big an investment. You could always play a download on your computer or TV at home if using it at the gym does not work.

Since the workout blender is more cumbersome than premixes, I would prefer the DVD with the premixes. I use the premixes quite often.

I hope for at least a while we are able to purchase DVD versions with premixes.

I really like digital downloads, etc. I buy download DVDs at Amazon a lot. It sure is a space saver and very convenient.

I also download of lot of music in the MP3 format.

But until there can be some way of making Cathe's premixes available with the downloads, I think I will hold off.

Vee:
Thank you for your advise. I may try that. I've always gone to a personal trainer once a month or so, and my gym use to have a really good weight trainer but she moved. I don't want to try the ones they have now. I'm at the gym for 3-4 hours and have never seen either of them in the free weight room training anyone. Plus, they themselves don't lift weights. I like the idea of doing some Cathe dvd's, epecially with the monthly rotation she puts out. I have a whole file cabinet full of the routines my ex-trainer set up for me that I can mix up with the Cathe DVD's.

Sherri

Last edited:
package option of download and dvd

A good option would be that when you purchased a dvd you would have a choice of just the dvd or pay a little more and the dvd comes with a digital version as well as the dvd. I've bought dvd's that come with a digital version of the movie.
I can put home movies onto my computer and then onto my ipod nano, so the only reason you couldn't put a prerecorded dvd onto the ipod is the coding they put on the dvd so you can't copy it and the fact that it is probably illegal.
If you buy the download version of Cath's exercise workout's, you will have to back it up somehow. You couldn't make a dvd of it in quality, so you'd have to use an external hard drive, or something like that, or something like Mozey which is an online backup thing that does it automatically for about $4.95 a month. I wish Cathe would offer a package of the DVD and the download version.

I dont want to hijack this thread or anything, but I'm in the same boat --download or DVD? And after reading this thread I still have some questions that I'm unclear about.

1) The DVDs come with premixes, mix-and-match, chapters, introduction, and credits (I think that's it, right?). I see that the downloads dont come with the premixes? The premixes are a huge selling point for me... When will this workout blender become available? This month? This year? And how is the workout blender similar / different from the DVD premixes?

2) Is it possible to convert a DVD to a file playable on your iPod? Is it possible to convert a file to DVD disc? If I can convert, it makes a big difference in which medium I buy. I have only ever bought DVDs, but I would love the ability to put Cathe on my iPod, especially because after Fall 2010 I will have unlimited, free access to gym within walking distance for the next eight years. Cathe on the go would be a huge plus for me.

3) Why exactly did Cathe Dot Com make the downloads approximately $10 cheaper than the DVD versions of the same product? Is producing a DVD really that expensive that it requires an additional $10 from customers to make a profit? I find that hard to believe, so I can only assume that the downloads are somehow lacking if they are so much cheaper than the DVD.

If someone could answer these questions, it will really make me feel more confident in my purchases. :)

Editted:

4) Is Body Max 2 available for downloadable purchase? With over 165 options to download, I cant imagine it's not on the list, but I cant seem to find it...

Last edited:
Downloads are cheaper for the simple reason that is what the market dictates, not because they are lacking. 95% of all downloads are illegal and this means it hard for a company like ours to compete with people who have a mindset that downloading illegal copies of a product is ok. Hopefully having a cheaper price helps to keep illegal downloads to a minimum.

The WB is something we're working on, but we're keeping quiet about further details until we release this product. But I will tell you that only downloads purchased from us will work on the WB, not converted files from a DVD. This is another reason why hopefully people will do the right thing and only purchase legal copies of our products from us.

And yes, Body Max 2 and all of our workouts are available for download. Here is a direct link: http://www.cathedownloads.com/body-max-2/

Thanks, SMN! :) This makes a lot more sense to me now, and especially thanks for providing me with the link to BM2! I was searching for it, but it never turned up on the results list.

I'm thinking about buying two new workouts via download to cut down on cathe.com costs and shipping, but the DVD versions both come with a lot of premixes (Cardio Core Circuit and Body Max 2), which I consider very valuable... which leads me to my next (and hopefully final :p ) question.

You called the workout blender a product. I know you want to keep quiet about it, so I understand if you cant answer, but is the workout blender a product in the same way that the workout manager is a product? Or is it a product in the sense that downloads and DVDs are products, things we have to purchase?

Because the DVD premixes are important to me, and from my understanding the WB would be the downloadable version of premixes, I would definitely go for the downloads if the WB is available to everyone... but if it isnt, I'd probably go with the DVDs.

I think from now on, though, future workouts that come with no or few premixes (like STS, which I hope to be able to purchase sometime soon), I will be downloading! :)

Our current search is very poor on our download site, so it's understandable you couldn't find Body Max 2. This is something we will upgrade hopefully in a few more days.

The WB is a desktop software application that will allow you to quickly and easily make any premix you want to from our downloads. Details are not something we're ready to discuss at this time, but we will certainly have a lot more details to share later on.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.