Same issue with new dvd's

aimtobe

I am having the same problem as others as far as the new dvd's are concerned...very grainy, everyone looks extremely long, and a little blury. I changed the ratio to 16:9 and it made no difference. I have never had any problem with any of Cathe dvd's and I don't understand why the dvd's would be produced in such a way that people may have to make changes on their dvd players or tv's, why not just produce them the same way as before? I have read a lot of other members concerns and they are similar to mine so I really think it is the problem with some of the dvd's and not our players or televisions.

I'm having the same problem. I'm wondering if Cathe will have to replace these DVDs like she did with LIC, DM, BM2 & B&G.

We've tested the DVD's on numerous players and TV's and have not found any problems with the quality of the picture. We even bought the same DVD player as one person who reported a problem and everything looked as it should. If you're seeing people look extremely long it means you're not playing the DVD in the correct aspect ratio (16:9) and that will affect how the picture looks. You have to make sure your DVD player is sending the video in 16:9 to your TV and you need to also make sure your TV is set to 16:9 also. If either are not, there can be quality issues. If everyone looks elongated it means your not viewing the picture in the correct aspect ratio.

As for filming in 16:9; nearly everyone is now using this aspect ratio nowadays to film. TV's are no longer made with the 4:3 ratio and all TV's are now made with the 16:9 ratio. Five years from now nobody will even know what 4:3 is, so it doesn't make sense to continue to film in a format that is now dead.

Maybe you didn't fully read my post but I stated that I DID change the ratio and it made NO difference. I also tried this on 3 other dvd players and 3 other televisions that I have in my house and no difference. Perhaps I should send back my dvd's and you can play them to see what we are talking about, we are not making this up. And why would you want to produce dvd's that people are going to have make adjustments to. Not everyone is having this problem so don't you think that just perhaps some of the dvd's are not right? It is almost like you are not listening to us.

Aspect Ratio problem

I did read your entire post very carefully as all reported problems are taken seriously by us. In it you stated that the people in the video seemed elongated. If this is true it means that you're not viewing the DVD in the correct 16:9 ratio. There is no other reason for this problem that I can think of and it is what you expect when viewing a video in the wrong aspect ratio. I'm not sure why this happening for you, but my guess is your DVD player is sending out a 4:3 signal instead of a 16:9 and needs to have the settings changed. Though you have your TV set to 16:9 the DVD player may not be. But this is only a guess on my part and without seeing your system it is impossible to say for sure what is causing your issue.

We're also not now making DVDs that require you to make changes to your TV settings that is any different from any other DVD we've sold in the past. If you take one of our older DVDs and play it on a 16:9 TV everyone will looked squashed unless you change your TV and DVD settings to 4:3. The opposite is true of our new DVDs which are filmed in 16:9. Depending on your current settings for your player and TV this will determine if you need to make a setting change or not. It does not matter if it is an old or new DVD

In your case your seeing an aspect ratio problem on all of your DVDs, not just one, and if this was a problem with the DVDs everyone would have the same issue. We've sold thousands of DVDs so far and have only had a few reports of an issue like you described, so this pretty much rules out a DVD issue. We have had a few people that have reported this issue and we're listening and keeping an open mind as well as continuing to run test on other units. We even went so far as to buy the exact DVD player that the first person who reported an issue just to make sure. But we've seen no problems so far at all beyond what we always see on a DVD.

I would suggest double checking your DVD player to make sure that it is not sending a 4:3 signal out to the TV. The problem you have described is exactly what happens in some cases where a DVD player sends a 4:3 signal instead of a 16:9 signal.

But if you would like to send one of the DVDs back along with note describing the problem and the model# of the TV and DVD player you tried playing on we would be more than happy to test it. We always keep an open mind and we learned along time ago to never rule out anything until we can test all of the variables.

Music

It depends on which DVDs you compare them to. Every DVD we have done in the past will have different audio levels depending on whether the music has vocals or is just instrumental music as well as many other factors. The new workouts will be less loud than some of our previous DVDs and louder than others, but they are all done by audio professionals that set the audio levels as perfectly as possible for this project and the music that was used. The new workouts audio is done by the same company that did the audio for STS and NFL Films and the music to voice ratio is as high as it can be without causing distortion and competing with Cathe's voice.

Last edited:
I did change the ratio...I changed it back and forth numerous times with someone else watching me so I didn't think I was crazy. I would change it and try the older dvd's and they looked the same as they always did, great. I would view the new dvd's and still the same elongated picture. I changed it back and viewed the old dvd's and they looked the same as they always did, the new ones still the same too. How does that happen? 4 times I changed from 4:3 to 16:9 and nothing changed and nothing changed with the old dvd's either, they still look as good as they always did, it is just the new ones.

Also, when I changed the ratio back to 16:9 and viewed the older dvd's, the people didn't looked squashed like you said they should. I have never with any of the other dvd's had to change anything on my dvd player or television.

Last edited:
Same issue :(

I have the same problem - except that the 2 new DVDs I recieved don't play at all on my older DVD player (and it's about 6 years old). I DID change the settings on it, and the tv to the suggested setting. These WILL play on my daughter's cheapo $30 dvd player she got for Christmas, but it's a pain in the butt to drag that downstairs everytime I want to use one of these. These new DVDs should come with a warning label - 'works on new DVD players only'. Disappointing.

I can change the aspect ratio on my dvd player to 16:9, but can't seem to find any such options for the tv. Picture looks elongated.

I have a 46" LED Samsung, and I admit it's a little grainy. I never noticed until I read this post. So guess that says something. I'm just glad for the workouts! I really don't want to see every blemish on the girls anyway...lol. I'm here for the workout...not the DVD HD quality. JMO.

I can change the aspect ratio on my dvd player to 16:9, but can't seem to find any such options for the tv. Picture looks elongated.

You would have to see if your TV can play 16:9? Any Tv made today will have this option, but you will have to refer to your owners manual for instructions. It's usually very simple to find and change on your remote.

Last edited:
I have the same problem - except that the 2 new DVDs I recieved don't play at all on my older DVD player (and it's about 6 years old). I DID change the settings on it, and the tv to the suggested setting. These WILL play on my daughter's cheapo $30 dvd player she got for Christmas, but it's a pain in the butt to drag that downstairs everytime I want to use one of these. These new DVDs should come with a warning label - 'works on new DVD players only'. Disappointing.

My DVD player is 8 years old and the new DVD's play just fine :)
Tracy

No problems here either. We have an *OLD* tv -we're talking big honkin' size thing - that will no longer allow a dvd player to work. I purchased a portable to play my workout dvd's. Works great!! I can move it around if I need to, makes it nice.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.