How often for Hiit/Tabatas

firemedic

Cathlete
I was just wondering if anyone knows how often you can do Hiit training or tabatas? I love adding on 1 or 2 tabatas after another workout or adding on 1 of the Hiit's from Intensity. I usually do this 3-5 times a week, is this too much? I like to go by how my body feels and so far, I feel fine and I've been doing this for a few months now. But can you over do??? Or can you over do on too much exercise in general (like with weights and cardio)??? Ever since Jan. when I go XTRAIN, it has motivated me to workout more esp. since I've been seeing results. Any info would be great. Thanks everyone and have a great evening.

I think you are OK with what you are doing. You are adding a tabata or two or a couple of HiiT pieces on to the end of another workout as a finisher. You are not doing three sessions per week of 45 mins straight high impact tabata or HiiT. This makes a big difference.

The add-ons you are doing are one of the reasons why you are enjoying your workouts so much too: the finisher allows you to go out with a bang but does not leave you completely depleted. This is good because too many cardio sessions per week devoted to just tabata and/or HiiT could lead to burn out and/or over-use injuries.

You are smart enough to be listening to your body: keep this up. As soon as you start noticing twinges, niggles, aches and pains, LISTEN UP! If you fail to change it up and lessen intensity at this point, injury is close behind.

No-one can tell you how much HiiT and tabata is enough and/or too much for you. There are guidelines, for safety reasons, but there is also knowing your body. And no-one knows your body --what it wants, what it needs, what is its breaking point-- but you.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.