Hip Thrusts on and Incline Bench

stayfit1

Cathlete
I've been doing the 100 Hip Thrust Challenge on and incline bench. It gives me more support for my neck that I have problems with. I'm not sure if using the incline bench diminishes the integrity of the exercise. I tried using the step with risers and the incline bench and it doesn't seem to be much different other than giving my back and neck more support.

Dianne

Do you mean you are using an inclined weight bench or do you have your step set up on an incline? In not able to picture this move on an inclined weight bench. How do you raise your hips to a table top position? It would seem they would already be at the top of the position if you are using a weight bench.

My neck gets strained during this move also. To help, I use my hands to support my neck similar to the position in a crunch move. That seems to help.

Hi Atompki1

I am using an incline bench, but it would be the same as using your step on an incline. My incline bench is padded so it gives me more comfort. Using the incline, I have my butt on the floor with the barbell in the same position as if you are using the flat step with risers and my torso on the incline portion of the bench or step. It works for me, making the exercise a lot more comfortable. I would love the hear more feedback. Someone else posted they used their stability ball against a wall. I'll have to give the stability ball a try.

Dianne

I use a stability ball when I do these. If I want the same benefits without the ball or step, do bridges with your head on the floor.

Hi Atompki1

I am using an incline bench, but it would be the same as using your step on an incline. My incline bench is padded so it gives me more comfort. Using the incline, I have my butt on the floor with the barbell in the same position as if you are using the flat step with risers and my torso on the incline portion of the bench or step. It works for me, making the exercise a lot more comfortable. I would love the hear more feedback. Someone else posted they used their stability ball against a wall. I'll have to give the stability ball a try.

Dianne

Thanks for the clarification. I was picturing the type of bench that hinged up so that part of the bench was flat while part of inclined. Like your bottom would still be sitted on the flat part. I see what you are saying now with your description though.

I've only done it once & I used the ball against the wall. It works for me. And I fold the mat to use as a padding for the barbell so it's not digging on my hips.

To the OP:

Have you tried putting your tongue on the roof of your mouth behind the teeth to take some neck tension out? It would be similar to doing that when you do crunches or c-curve work where sometimes the tension is felt more in the neck than the core? Just a thought. It might help with the neck strain. I like the ball option, too, as along as it is parked against a wall. (Egads if it weren't!) Would definitely help with the pressure on the back.

You might also see what options / variations there are to maybe help accommodate you. Perhaps check out Bret Contreras's website (The Glute Guy) who Cathe mentioned in a recent article. Here is a link to an post he did about what to do if you feel it more in the quads than the glutes: Bret Contreras » ABC: What Should I Do if I Only Feel Hip Thrusts in My Quads?

Here is a post on myomytv talking about her interview with Bret and some progressions to the hip thrust: Glute Bridge Progression to Hip Thrust | The Glute Journey | myomytv.com | Free Fitness Blog

Certainly you have to do what works for you! Just passing along a few links. These were also discussed recently at VF. Bret really is the Glute Guy. You might ask him for some suggestions, too. He seems to be pretty approachable.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.