Oy vay! One legged sit and stands!

beccajanern

Cathlete
I just completed disc 6 yesterday and struggled with those sit and stands. Could you please possibly show some modifications for those so I can work up to the full deal?

Thanks so much, Cathe! I am loving STS and all my muscles are feeling it! Good stuff! :)

I agree...I couldn't do these even with no weight when I did my 1RM tests! I am hoping that I am doing something wrong, or that there are good modifications I can do to work up to the real thing.

This is just an observation, because I have not done the w/o yet. But be sure your chair/step is high enough. IIRC SNM reported that Cathe's chair measures 18 inches from the floor to the seat (someone correct me if I am wrong there). That would probably make a big difference if you were using a much lower chair/step.

My chair is at 18" (checked it prior to starting sts), and these are absolutely brutal.

The best I was able to do with these was to lift myself an inch or two - with my foot just resting on the floor, and no way all the way through these. By the end of the set, I was only tensing and pushing the muscle that should have lifted me up, but not actually going anywhere! I imagine that these will get better with practice and when the muscles grow and learn.

Each time I do one of these workouts, I wonder about how long rehearsals actually took. Cathe's crew must have practiced quite a bit on their own, prior to rehearsals, even. Everybody on screen is able to do these, but I'm sure they didn't come "naturally" - only with a lot of practice.

My chair is at 18" (checked it prior to starting sts), and these are absolutely brutal.

The best I was able to do with these was to lift myself an inch or two - with my foot just resting on the floor, and no way all the way through these. By the end of the set, I was only tensing and pushing the muscle that should have lifted me up, but not actually going anywhere! I imagine that these will get better with practice and when the muscles grow and learn.

Each time I do one of these workouts, I wonder about how long rehearsals actually took. Cathe's crew must have practiced quite a bit on their own, prior to rehearsals, even. Everybody on screen is able to do these, but I'm sure they didn't come "naturally" - only with a lot of practice.

I was unable to do these myself like Cathe does them (and I thought my legs were my stronger part of the body!). I guess it's something I have to work up to. I did them like you -- with my foot just resting on the floor for a little support. That was hard enough! I'm hoping it will get better! But I know I'm working my legs (I felt it the next morning!) Hopefully that is enough!

I had a hard time with these as well on Disc 6...and they come back again to haunt you in Disc 12! I tried crossing my leg over the working leg and was able to do these much, much better. My balance was better and I was really able to push down on the working leg heel to stand back up. It just wasn't happening the way Cathe showed.

Aimee

I use my high step. If I have 6 risers under it, I cannot do this, I have to have 7 and they are easier (not easy - never said that). Of course, I'm 5'10 so there's a lot of me to push up! :D But experiment with chair height. And as you get stronger, you can try lower chairs - maybe one day you can work up to this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hzHc6gFm9o (for those who don't know - Steve Cotter is a martial artist and a kettlebell instructor and is one of the strongest men I have ever seen - don't try this at home :p)

Yeah, these didn't get better for me in disc 12, I had to go sans weights and just kept plopping back down :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.