Power Tower/Squat Rack combo

NinjaMom

Cathlete
I would like to see a power tower/squat rack combination that could also be used with the step for bench press.

JJ

I keep seeing people talk about the Power Tower...is it simply for pullups or is it for squats too? It would be great if you could lower it to the level of the bench and use it as a barbell rack .... love anything that multi-tasks! I guess the arrival date of the Tower is unknown!

_MG_0060.jpg

Here is a pic of Cathe's power tower. I believe you can use it for pullups and bench press but NOT squats. I was hoping for one piece of equipment that could do all.

JJ

Thanks for the photo, JJ. I have seen that in the Utube clip but wasnt sure it was the Power Tower. I guess I dont understand why you can use it for bench press and not squats.... as long as it will hold a bar and you can get under it.... am I being dense? It would NOT be the first time.

thank you so much for mentioning the "power tower". I didn't know what it was called, but as soon as I saw it, I knew I had to have it. I perused Cathe's products, but didn't see this one. Is it something I can buy through Cathe, or, if not, where can I find this? Many thanks to all who respond.:D

I asked in another forum and they are hoping the apparatus will be available in February, but no guarantees!

obviously not SNM or Cathe, but SNM said in a thread a while back that if they would have wanted to use it as a squat rack as well as the other uses, it would need a much heavier duty frame, would not be as portable and would be much bigger in size... I don't know if they have ever given a max weight limit or how tall it is expandable in height, so those may be factors too...
oh well, can't have everything! :)

From the pic, it looks like there are adjustable hooks on the side that you can rest a barbell on. The slots look like they go all the way up. If the power tower can hold the weight of a person, then I'm sure it could handle a barbell, assuming you're not squatting over 200 lbs.

I'm not an engineer, so I don't have the correct terminology - but I think it is not advised to use the power tower for squats because of the fact that if the barbell is all the way at the top, it could topple the tower over very easily. I know Cathe and the gang use it for bench pressing in the STS clips, but the bar is much lower so that would make sense.

From the pic, it looks like there are adjustable hooks on the side that you can rest a barbell on. The slots look like they go all the way up. If the power tower can hold the weight of a person, then I'm sure it could handle a barbell, assuming you're not squatting over 200 lbs.

I suppose you can always use a piece of equipment any way you wish, but I would proceed with much caution if the manufacturer discourages some uses... There are good reasons that this product is not rated for some exercises, so SNM or Cathe would not promote certain kinds of uses if they deem them unsafe... One previous SNM post stated that in order to be safely used for a squat rack that the PT would need to be much heftier and would not be as portable/storable as this one is... just a thought... would not want you to get hurt :)

The Power Tower as Cathe has described it is not tall enough to be a squat rack (remember, Cathe is a very petite woman, so consider the size in comparison to her). In order to use it that way, one would have to squat and then release the weight, then step forward and stand up. As PrincessBear stated, a squat rack would have to be bigger and designed to accomodate weight in a different manner than the PT is designed to. Look at your traditional squat racks - they're huge, and for a very good reason. This is meant for pull-ups and bench presses only.

Compact Squat racks

I do not have room for a huge squat rack rack set up. In fact, I've been using my weight bench as a squat rack, which is a little risky. However, I'm not really strong and 80% of my 1 RM is about 70 lbs. Which is not exactly power lifting weight. At my age I doubt that I will ever be squatting 300 lbs. I really like the idea of a Power Tower & Squat Rack combo idea. That would be the ideal product. I've pre ordered the Power Tower and will probably use it as a squat rack and I bet I won't be the only one using the Power Tower for squats.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.