What about Stevia

athomedavina

Does anyone out there have information about stevia? I think I used to have customers who were diabetic and their doctors had them use stevia because it does not affect blood sugar (the spike). I am trying to get off of artificial sweetners and I limit suger as well. Any information is appreciated!

Thanks!
Davina

Stevia

I love stevia - it is very sweet so you only have to use 1/4 the amount. For example, 1/4 tsp stevia (powder) = 1 tsp of sugar in sweetness taste. The packets are a convenient serving size and I find that they are perfect for hot tea at the office.

I use it for my tea. It disolves easily in hot beverages and hot cereals, but it you have to pour and stir at the same time for the cold beverages. They sell it in powder, liquid, and powder packets at Giant - in the organic section where the supplements are sold. I have yet to find it at Wholefoods and I don't know about Trader Joes because I don't shop there. I do know you can order it online, but I have never done so (my aunt has though).

Stevia is great!

I have been using for over 9 mo. now, my family loves it, my son actually prefers it over sugar and splenda, I buy mine online through vitacost.com, I buy the Stevita brand it is a real good buy about $15 for 16oz, it is the best buy I have found you do need to be careful when buying it though not all stevia is created equal, I have researched stevia quite a bit, I even grow it now to use, it grows like a weed! Anyways, hope the info is helpful!

Monique

Growing Stevia

You can grow stevia? Where do you get the seeds, and how do you use the leaves? What kind of climate does it need?

I like it in liquid form. I mostly use it on my oatmeal, and I also make my own hot cocoa sometimes, with skim milk, a Tbs of unsweetened cocoa powder, and a few drops of stevia. I don't like it as much in tea or coffee because it doesn't add the syrupy consistency of sugar -- or real maple syrup, which is what I like to use.

Growing Stevia

I bought stevia plants, mail order, you can also buy seeds, they are a perennial, I live in the midwest so in the winter you just bring it indoors and it will lose most of its leaves and come back in the spring, I am not sure about making it inot a liquid of course anything you do with it, will be green, I got books from the library and I ordered one when I bought my plant, great to add to tea when you are making it, you can also dry it and use as a powder, again it will look green! Hope this helps.
Monique

Thanks for all the information.

One more question. Does anyone know if there are any negative side effects to using Stevia? I know that with other sweeteners like Splenda and Equal, there are all sorts of reasons to stay away, like increasing cravings, headaches, digestive problems. I was hoping that since Stevia is different it wouldn't have any "bad press."

Thanks to all!

Davina

Another Stevia user here! :D I really wanted to get away from using artificial sweetener. I discovered Stevia about a year ago, and I love it.

As for side effects.... I haven't experienced any, but I did notice on the Stevia package that it states not to exceed 8 servings per day. I probably do b/c I drink tea ALL day long, but I can't say I've experienced any adverse side effects.

What I find irritating is that Stevia can not be marketed in the US as a "sweetener" but must be marketed and sold as an "herbal supplement." Gimme a break! :rolleyes:

Here's a website with more info.

Last edited:
I use stevia once or twice a day and have never experienced any side effects, nor have I ever read about any. Most other sweeteners give me headaches, make me hungrier, or just give me the crazies! :eek: LOL.

Thanks for all the information.

One more question. Does anyone know if there are any negative side effects to using Stevia? I know that with other sweeteners like Splenda and Equal, there are all sorts of reasons to stay away, like increasing cravings, headaches, digestive problems. I was hoping that since Stevia is different it wouldn't have any "bad press."

Thanks to all!

Davina

I have read up on this alot. And have used it for years. and love it. No side affects. and all readings agree about not elevating blood sugar.
meezAnimatedBodyshot300x400small-1.gif

I don't know where this news info came from, but my doctor just told me that they are pulling off Stevia from the shelves in some countries because it is linked to tumor growth.

That's all I heard, haven't checked it out or anything, but will when I get a chance.

Baking with stevia

I too love Stevia. I even bake with it. This weekend I made a peanut butter cheesecake for my family and I made it with Stevia and no one could tell the difference...well except one of my cousins, but he is a huge sugar fanatic so if its not sugar he knows. I also have made pumpkin pie with stevia and my husband who doesn't even like pumpkin pie, loved it! You definately use it very sparingly as a little goes a long way. I use stevia packets for my coffee, but I only use 1/3 of the packet at a time. It's also a great way to sweeten plain yogurt - just add a little stevia and a little vanilla extract to plain yogurt and voila! Instant healthy vanilla yogurt. Oh, and I love to saute strawberry slices and banana slices letting them form their own juices and then add a dash of stevia and serve on top of whole wheat waffles or pancakes and you won't even miss the syrup!

Reactions...

As far as adverse side effects or reactions with Stevia... I have heard a little bit about some people experiencing bloating or gas after using too much stevia, but that's the worst I've heard. I think as long as you stick to the recommended daily serving size or less you'll be a-ok!

What's the recipe for the PB cheesecake?

I too love Stevia. I even bake with it. This weekend I made a peanut butter cheesecake for my family and I made it with Stevia and no one could tell the difference...well except one of my cousins, but he is a huge sugar fanatic so if its not sugar he knows. I also have made pumpkin pie with stevia and my husband who doesn't even like pumpkin pie, loved it! You definately use it very sparingly as a little goes a long way. I use stevia packets for my coffee, but I only use 1/3 of the packet at a time. It's also a great way to sweeten plain yogurt - just add a little stevia and a little vanilla extract to plain yogurt and voila! Instant healthy vanilla yogurt. Oh, and I love to saute strawberry slices and banana slices letting them form their own juices and then add a dash of stevia and serve on top of whole wheat waffles or pancakes and you won't even miss the syrup!

PB Cheesecake

Here goes!

2 pckges of Fatfree cream cheese
1 pckage of 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1 cup of fat-free greek yogurt (plain)
2 tbsp of stevia (give or take) (as needed to taste)
1/3 cup of natural peanut butter
2tbsp of peanut butter powder (www.bellplantation.com)
6 egg whites
2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Make your own grahm cracker crust or buy one. I like premade organic premade ones at my local health food store. Mix all the above ingredients in food processor or blender on low until smooth thick and creamy and then poor in pie crust. Bake in oven for 45-50min or until cracked on top and a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy with no guilt! Packed with protein and low in sugar!

I actually saw Stevia at my local Walmart store today (in the vitamin section). I had heard about it but never tried it. Maybe next grocery trip I will have to pick some up and give it a try!

Julie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.