suggestions for making your own frozen dinners

pjdavis

Cathlete
I travel a lot...and when left alone my busy husband will just eat whatever he finds easy, not always healthy. I was going to cook ahead and freeze his meals, but has anyone done this? Can you freeze cooked rice or baked potatoe? What about steamed vegs? Does this stuff all get soggy when you thaw it and then heat in microwave?
thanks

Yes, you can freeze rice. I have frozen mashed potatoes, but wouldn't recommend baked potatoes. Tell him to microwave them from fresh! Can he push a button?:rolleyes:

Also, I use the frozen veggies - think they are called "Steam Fresh". You microwave them right in the bag and they come out awesome! They are a great nutritional value when time isn't on your side. They aren't too expensive either. Think they come with a little sauce on them so they are ready to serve. have a good, fit weekend!

Thanks for the response and the laugh! Why is it that pushing a button on a microwave seems like such a "task" for them? funny.

I have a similar DH...microwave is so complicated. Anyway, what I find he really likes is I'll make a big batch of Fajitas and then sprinkle some shredded cheese on Low Carb Tortillas and make "Fajita Quesadillas" and make a bunch of them and freeze them individual containers. They heat up nicely in the microwave and the cheese melts and it's a nice tasty meal too, even reheated. My husband also loves breakfast for dinner, so I'll whip up about 5-6 omelets each with different things in them, like turkey bacon, or avocado and salmon, or spinach and feta, or deer meat sausage and cheese, and then freeeze them. The omelets freeze and reheat great.
Try making big dishes like lasagnas or chili and put individual portions in tupperware containers to freeze and that way he can just pop into the microwave what he needs. Have other things on hand while your gone for him to grab easy and pop in his mouth, like baby carrots and hummus or bean dip, popcorn (even already popped and placed in individual baggies), nuts, celery with peanut butter already made up, and all natural corn tortilla chips and salsa. Then if he's like my husband, put everything at eye level where he can see it in the fridge and freezer and pantry so he doesn't have to dig, because he wont! :)

Jodelle...I think all husbands are the same! I love how they come ask you where something is before they even look for it! The other day it was the pizza cutter today it was sox:rolleyes:

And what they've been hunting for for 20 minutes, usually takes us 2 seconds to find!!! If they would just move things and look behind/underneath them!!! Sheesh!

This is SUCH and old post!!! I am a freezer cook who goes back many years! Try www.30daygourmet.com and check out tips and hints...I don't use many of her recipes though...Too full of fat and not so great carbs...

discover freezing vegetables re-heat better then others. All I do is create an additional poultry (whatever beef you are eating) plus veg and potatoes or grain (all portioned controlled) in the Tupperware, lock up and brand. All you have to do is unfreeze and re-heat.

I have been freezing meals for a while. We used to eat Lean Cuisine's all the time. I decided to make my own. I call them Jann Cuisine's - :p:p I know what goes into them.

I purchased pyrex dishes for individual serving and larger servings if both of us are going to eat. We have a corning outlet near us and they are always having sales. They last longer than plastic.

I fix - Quinoa lasagne noodles with spinach and home made marinara sauce, use low fat cheese. I calculated the serving to be about 300 calories.
I also do lots of soups. An enchiladas pasta dish using corn pasta and chicken. I try to stay in and around 300 calories per serving. I am always experimenting. I have found that I don't like re-freeze vegetables, I always start with raw.

hth's :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.