I need help with steel cut oats!

suethepooh

Cathlete
I'm having trouble making edible steel cut oats at home. I've had wonderful oats in restaurants, but can't seem to reproduce the recipe. I'm following package directions - boil until they start getting creamy, then simmer for 30 minutes. I've even tried to cook them overnight in the crock pot. Mine always turn out dry and overly chewy. I have tried adding extra water to the pot, no bueno. Does the brand matter? Is there a better way? Do I need to keep practicing?

Thanks to anyone who can advise :)

I put 1/3 cup oats ,1T flaxseeds, 1 cut water, 1 sliced granny smith apple, some cinnamon & nutmeg
in my little crockpot thats for dips before I go down stairs to workout or go out to run
(very early 4am)
I usually do about 90mins come up and they are perfect

Christie

I love steel cut oats! I usually buy Bob's Red Mill or the one in the red cardboard cannister (can't remember the name.) If you do them on the stove, then you can keep an eye on them and stop cooking when they are still soupy...if that is the way you like them.
Keep trying, they are so worth it!
liz

If you are cooking them for 30 minutes on medium-low you may need to double the water. That's what I do and they turn out perfect for me. I don't understand why the instructions always call for so little water (usually 2 parts water to 1 part oats ... I use 4 parts water).

I've tried cooking at a lower temperature with 2:1 water to oats, but then they never seem to cook.

Stebby

If you are cooking them for 30 minutes on medium-low you may need to double the water. That's what I do and they turn out perfect for me. I don't understand why the instructions always call for so little water (usually 2 parts water to 1 part oats ... I use 4 parts water).

I've tried cooking at a lower temperature with 2:1 water to oats, but then they never seem to cook.

Stebby

Thanks Stebby - more water did the trick!

I put 1/3 cup oats ,1T flaxseeds, 1 cut water, 1 sliced granny smith apple, some cinnamon & nutmeg
in my little crockpot thats for dips before I go down stairs to workout or go out to run
(very early 4am)
I usually do about 90mins come up and they are perfect

Christie

oh my gosh! this works so great!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.