Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum app for the iPhone, iPad or Android device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Nutrition Forums > Diet and Nutrition

Diet and Nutrition General discussion about diet, weight loss, nutrition and healthy eating.

Drinking Alcohol & Weight Loss

This is a discussion on Drinking Alcohol & Weight Loss within the Diet and Nutrition forums, part of the Nutrition Forums category;; So.... what are thoughts on having a couple drinks and loosing weight. I don't drink a lot, but I'll have ...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 09:19 PM

Question Drinking Alcohol & Weight Loss

So.... what are thoughts on having a couple drinks and loosing weight. I don't drink a lot, but I'll have a glass or two of wine several nights a week sometimes. Or have a couple margaritas with girlfriends on the weekend.

I'm thinking this is getting in the way of my weight loss goals.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!
Old 02-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Cathlete

i think its fine as long as you consider it your treat for the week and as long as its no more then 2 or 3. Many times drinking leads to not caring about what you eat and thats really where the problem is. So i say choose either the alcohol or the meal (becasue the margaritas can have just as many cals as a meal). As long as your strick through the week and not binging out on 3,000cals worth of alcohol and food on the weekend you should still be able to lose weight.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Cathlete

I try to stay away from it for the most part. I do have two drinks each Friday when I go out with friends and i'll allow myself a glass of wine with dinner on Saturday, but that's it. I would love to have wine with dinner every night, but I just feel like it's a whole lot of extra calories and makes my tummy feel bloated the next day.

I would say, just be truthful when you add the drinks to your caloric intake for the day. If you're already consuming your calorie max for the day then the alcohol is an overload.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Banned

If you are going to drink you should stick to wine or lite beer if you are concerned about calories. Fancy mixed drinks have a ton of calories and a ton of sugar.

Quote:
Frozen: 180 calories (all carbs) for a 4 oz serving. Considering the average margarita glass holds 12 oz you're looking at 540 calories.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the feedback.
I know I need to cut back more on the alcohol. A few beers here and there doesn't seem like a lot, but it adds up.

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2010, 06:24 PM
jdollprince's Profile Fields

it is very very unfortunate, but booze can totally wreck all your careful food choices for the week in an hour. there are so many fat free, sugar free foods...if someone could come up with a 100 calorie margarita they would be set for life!

when i am tracking my calories and working out like i should, i have to just get my game face on and NOT drink during the week (ok 5 days a week) because let's face it, having to limit yourself to one glass of wine is just a tease.

jes
Old 03-12-2011, 10:44 AM

One glass (6 oz) of red wine has approx 125 calories. Those calories will certainly add up over the course of the day. You say you like 2 glasses with lunch. That is 250 calories. You like a bottle with dinner. I don't even know how many glasses that would constitute but even if it were just another 2, you have downed 500 calories (and that number just keeps going up with each glass) of wine over the day. This can DEFINITELY slow down weight loss and it is highly recomended that you stay away from alcohol during weight loss because it provides nothing but empty calories that have no nutritional value. Yes, I know red wine is great, but during a weight loss program, it really needs to be more of a treat that a staple of the daily diet.

To put it in perspective a bit, a pound of fat is equivalent to 3500 lbs so creating a daily deficit of 500 calories would help you lose about 1 lb per week. You could create a substantial deficit just by cutting out that wine. Like i said, one glass with dinner isn't a problem, but it is just filling you up with empty calories if you drink it the way you say you do.

http://hubpages.com/hub/calories-in-...ine--cocktails

-----------------------------------------
lalalalallooveeee
Personal Training Chicago
Old 03-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Cathlete
RapidBreath's Profile Fields

For me, alcohol always makes me put on weight, and its not the calories, it just doesn't work with my system. Try going for a week only drinking light beer instead of margaritas to see if the calories or holding you back.

Good luck with that,

Alisha
Old 04-02-2011, 11:22 AM
BooBear's Profile Fields

Exclamation gotta chime in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidBreath View Post
For me, alcohol always makes me put on weight, and its not the calories, it just doesn't work with my system. Try going for a week only drinking light beer instead of margaritas to see if the calories or holding you back.

Good luck with that,

Alisha
I have the same issue with alcohol. I too like an occasional glass of wine or a light beer at the end of the work day. It totally screws up my weight loss even if I leave room for the calories! (and yes, I track EVERY single one when I am in weight loss mode, and I measure and weigh portions)
I believe it may have to do with messing up my hormones that burn fat but I'm not sure. It took me a long time and a lot of frustration to figure out why on a 1500 calorie diet with exercise (Cathe videos!) I was NOT BUDGING. Cut out my evening drink (at the time only abour 3x per week) and I started to move again.
Most people could probably handle it if they stay in their calorie range but apparently not me!
Old 04-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Cathlete
JodelleFitzh20's Profile Fields

When it comes to alcohol think of each sip as taking in a little spoonful of sugar. Alcohol turns to sugar in the body and sugar if in excess (which alcohol is definately in excess when in comes to sugar intake) turns to stored body fat, most often in the abdomen. If u really want to see weight loss, alcohol should b the thing u cut out the most along with the rest of the sugar in ur diet. Not only is it stored in the abdomen but it also causes inflammation in the body which increases the stress hormone cortisol to release and cortisol further increases stored body fat, mor specifically in the abdomen. In addition, alcohol lowers your inhibitions leading u to make poorer choices regarding healthy activities and food choices. Limit alcohol consumption as much as possible to see further weight loss results

www.getfitwithjodelle.com