Any suggestions for protein

LastTango

Cathlete
I am looking for new ideas (particuarly for breakfast) for protein sources. I want to bump up my protein intake a bit more, and usually I have a GNC soy protein isolate drink with skim milk in the morning. I have to be at work at 5 AM, and don't have alot of time to cook. So I alternate that with scrambled egg whites with a banana/half a bagel/ english muffin/ etc.

However, I was reading an article yesterday that said you should stay away from soy as much as possible because it is more processed. I know it's better to eat real food, but at 4 in morning, it's not always doable. So I need to know about a better powdered protein possibility, or other food source.

I'm going to grow feathers, lay eggs, or develop gills before long with as much chicken,eggs,and fish as I eat!! I also incorporate nuts, beans, and peas for other sources (with occasional pork). Any other ideas???

Dairy?

Hey, do you eat dairy? If so, try greek yogurt. Even for those who are lactose intolerant, greek yogurt is found to be much easier on the digestive system due to the probiotics. And most brands have 15-20grams protein in one serving. Look for plain and add blueberries and nuts and maybe even some ground flax for a bit more protein and Omega 3's!

Also if you have time the night before when you are preparing dinner. Whip up a veggie omelet and then just pop in the microwave in the morning, for a good dose of protein that's quicker than a shake!

One more thing...certain breads are known for having good protein sources, like Hemp bread. Or try quinoa as a porridge. It's a complete protien in grain form, and tastes great with sliced banana and a little melted peanut butter or almond butter mixed in!

Enjoy!

I do eat dairy, and I had forgotten about greek yogurt. I recently tried it. It IS different from regular yogurt for sure. I have used quinoa in the past, but had never thought about it for breakfast. I see another trip to Whole Foods in the future.

Thanks for the reminders!!!

Go under "healthy recipes" forum and look for Seared Sesame Scallops, a very good and quick recipe I posted there! Scallops are so yummy and good for you!

Make sure that the greek yogurt is the lower fat kind. The honey 0% fat style from Stonyfield Farm is really good. I have a surplus of blackberries from my garden so I've been putting them in. Yummmmm.

I hadn't thought of treating quinoa as a breakfast item, I usually add feta and black olives and tomatoes and bring it as a salad.

Hemp seeds and hemp protein powder are an excellent source of protein. And it's raw amino acids (research at the Max Plank institute in Germany showed that cooked protein is 50% less assimilable than raw, so you need more protein from cooked foods than you would from raw).

Goji berries are 18% protein (very high for a fruit).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.