Split Pea Recipes - not soup :)

I'm working on a version of that tonight. I still will need to make it again, and measure this time, but it's turning out to be my fav. home-made veggie burger yet. Split peas don't have to be mashed like lentils or beans, and the texture is similar to store veggie burgers. It should freeze really well too.

Anyone have any ideas on a rice sub. for a lower carb. version?

I just wanna say how excited I am for this to work. I've tried other recipes before(veggie burgers), and they are too much work, or require too much equipment or take too long, but this takes 1 hr to cook the peas for the batter.
Super fast compared to normal cooking times for beans. So excited! and at rock bottom prices too, woo hoo!

Common, someone has a recipe for an awesome dip or something.....

Last edited:
Indian split pea curry

Curry is one of the best ways to transform an ingredient. Chick peas and lentils also work well with it. Made this way, with the emphasize on legumes, not rice, the calories and carbs are brought down a bit, and could be part of your everyday on plan- clean eating menu.
If Curry is in the name, it's sure to get my taste buds singing.

Indian Split Pea Curry
Indian-Style Yellow Split Pea Curry (Matar Dal) | Lisa's Kitchen | Vegetarian Recipes | Cooking Hints | Food & Nutrition Articles

A simple and colorful curry contrasting the earthiness of split peas and hot, tart and tangy Indian spices and flavors.

1/2 cup dried yellow split peas
1 tablespoon ghee or olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1/2-inch piece ginger, minced
2 green chilies, seeded and chopped
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon amchoor powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
small handful fresh coriander or parsley leaves, chopped

Instructions:
Rinse the split peas under cold running water and soak for 1 hour under several inches of cold water. Drain and rinse, then add to a medium saucepan and cover with several inches of fresh water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes or until the peas are tender. Drain and set aside.

Heat the ghee or olive oil in a frying pan or wok over medium heat. When hot, add the onion and fry for 2 minutes or until the onion starts to turn translucent. Toss in the ginger and chilies, and stir for 1 minute. Add the cumin seeds and cook for 30 seconds or until the seeds darken a couple of shades and turn fragrant. Now stir in the tomato, cayenne, turmeric and amchoor and cook for 5 minutes or until the tomato starts to reduce. Stir in the split peas and let the pan simmer for 10 minutes to let the peas warm and absorb the flavours.

Remove the pan from heat and season with salt and garam masala. Serve hot or warm on its own or on a bed of hot fresh white rice, garnished with chopped fresh coriander or parsley leaves. To reheat, add a little water and simmer gently in a pan for several minutes.

Makes 4 servings
dal.jpg

Oh the image didn't come through, but the link to Lisa's blog is up at the top of the recipe. For those that can't go to the link, it looks similar to yellow rice with chopped carrots in it (although no carrots are listed)garnished with a sprig of parsley.

I would serve this with a bunch of veggies mixed in or laying pretty on top. Colorful peppers and greens would be great with this.

Question: would I be able to use green split peas? is there a taste/cooking difference?
January 31, 2012 3:27 PM
Lisa said...
The cooking time would be the same, but there would be a difference in taste. The yellow split peas are creamier.
You can give it a try and let me know how it works out for you.
January 31, 2012 3:32 PM

Last edited:
Curried Lentils With Sweet Potatoes and Swiss Chard

From The Smitten Kitchen blog. She made this with split peas instead of lentils. curried lentils and sweet potatoes | smitten kitchen

Yields 8 to 10 side-dish servings; 6 main-course servings.

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1-inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded if desired, then minced
4 to 5 cups vegetable broth as needed
2 pounds orange-fleshed sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into
1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
1 1/2 cups dried lentils
1 bay leaf
1 pound Swiss chard, center ribs removed, leaves thinly sliced
1 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Finely grated zest of 1 lime
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/3 cup finely chopped tamari almonds, for garnish (optional), available in health food stores
1/4 cup chopped scallions, for garnish.

1. In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, garam masala, curry powder and jalapeno. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.

2. Stir in 4 cups broth, sweet potatoes, lentils and bay leaf. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, partially cover, and simmer for 25 minutes. (If lentils seem dry, add up to 1 cup stock, as needed.) Stir in chard and salt and pepper, and continue cooking until lentils are tender and chard is cooked, about 30 to 45 minutes total.

3. Just before serving, stir in cilantro, lime zest and juice. Spoon into a large, shallow serving dish. Garnish with almonds if desired and scallions.

This is vegetarian, and possibly vegan, I'm not either one, but I don't see any animal products in it.

Thanks for these recipes. I love split peas and am looking for other non-soup/non curry recipes for them. These "burgers" sound promising.
Eva

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.