Slow-Cookin' Pulled Chicken

punka274

Cathlete
slowcookerpulledchicken1_lrg2.jpg

PER SERVING (1/2 cup): 149 calories, 1g fat, 462mg sodium, 10g carbs, <0.5g fiber, 9g sugars, 22.5g protein -- POINTS® value 3*

This shredded BBQ chicken is FANTASTIC over salads, piled onto light buns, stuffed inside high-fiber tortillas with (rinsed) cole slaw, or eaten all by itself. Yummmmmm!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lb. raw boneless skinless lean chicken breasts, halved
1 cup canned tomato sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. brown sugar (not packed)
2 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. cider vinegar
2 tsp. garlic powder
Optional: red pepper flakes, to taste

Directions:
Place all ingredients except the chicken in the crock pot. Stir until mixed. Add chicken and coat well with the sauce.

Cover and cook on high for 3 - 4 hours OR on low for 7 - 8 hours, until chicken is fully cooked.

Remove all the chicken and place it in a bowl. Shred each piece using two forks -- one to hold the chicken in place and the other to scrape across the meat and shred it. Return the shredded chicken to the crock pot, and mix well with the sauce.

If you're serving a group, keep the crock pot on its lowest setting, so the chicken stays warm. If you like, season to taste with red pepper flakes. Eat up!

MAKES 7 SERVINGS

I wanted to share this from my food logging website(myfitnesspal) I made this recently and it turned out very tender and the bbq sauce was delish!!!

Amelia, this looks YUMMY! I love my crockpot. I make a pulled chicken with just chicken breast and a jar of salsa. I'll have to try yours!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Gayle

I just made this..

It's great. I started it this morning and just got home and shredded the chicken. I has to taste it and it's great!! I'm off to pick up the kids, hopefully they'll love it too!

I wanted to come back and give a review of the dish since I made it last night.

I liked it, and so did my husband. The only thing I will do differently next time is add less brown sugar. It was a bit too sweet for my taste. Every brand of tomato sauce and ketchup has different amounts of sugar in it, so it could be due to that, although I did use two brands which are pretty low.

I will def. make this dish again. It was very good over the sprouted bun. I used one half of a bun, and it was very filling. I'll be enjoying the leftovers today for lunch.

Thanks again for sharing the recipe.

just put this on for dinner tonight and used a little less sugar than called for... be back later to review.

thanks, amelia!

wendy

i give this recipe an A! served it with cornbread and salad and we loved it. added a whole chopped onion in the botton of the crock and used a little less brown sugar. i also dbled the recipe so i could freeze some but it is almost gone already as dh took for lunch two days in a row.

thanks again!

wendy

Your Welcome Wendy!!

Im making this right now, my dh also wanted it made with a little less brown sugar...lets see how we like it!

Best recipe ever! I loved pulled pork/chicken and could never find a really great recipe. My neighbors even stopped in, said the house smelled great and had a taste! Thank you so much for passing that on!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.