Roasted Tomato Beef Goulash with Caraway

Boingo1

Cathlete
I got this from Cooking Light Magazine. I couldn't find the roasted tomatoes, so used a can of Italian spiced tomatoes and I also threw in a second can of italian stewed tomatoes. I didn't have celery, but I added a package of sliced mushrooms.

Sooooooo good!
13.gif

Roasted Tomato–Beef Goulash with Caraway

Category Winner: Entrées, Cooking Light Ultimate Reader Recipe Contest.
"Hungarian goulash was a family favorite when I was growing up. I've updated my mom's recipe with fresh vegetables. Replacing plain tomato sauce with roasted diced tomatoes improved the taste and texture of the gravy." —Sheryl Chomak, Beaverton, OR

2 pounds bottom round roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons canola oil
2 tablespoons paprika, divided
1 to 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
1 1/4 cups coarsely chopped onion (about 1 large)
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained (such as Muir Glen)
4 cups cooked medium egg noodles (about 2 1/2 cups uncooked pasta)

1. Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.

2. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef to pan; cook 3 minutes or until browned on all sides. Add 1 tablespoon paprika and caraway seeds. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, remaining 1 tablespoon paprika, onion, celery, carrot, and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender. Serve over noodles.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup goulash and 1/2 cup noodles)

CALORIES 299 (26% from fat); FAT 8.5g (sat 2.3g,mono 3.6g,poly 1.2g); IRON 4.5mg; CHOLESTEROL 91mg; CALCIUM 41mg; CARBOHYDRATE 27.6g; SODIUM 403mg; PROTEIN 27.2g; FIBER 2.9g

Cooking Light, MARCH 2008

yum!!

That sounds yummy!!! I'll have to give that a try. It would be good with a big ol' hunk of dark rye or pumpernickle. (so much for healthy eats!!!)

Nan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.