Really good Crockpot Steel Cut Oats

Kathy G

Cathlete
I just tried this recipe this morning and it's delicious! It was easy to put in the crockpot the night before and wake up to ready to eat oatmeal. I divided the leftovers into containers to reheat in the microwave later.

Crockpot Oatmeal Recipe

1 cup steel cut oats (not instant or rolled oats)
3-4 cups water, depending on how long the oatmeal will cook
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 apple, peeled and diced
1/2 cup raisins

Sprinkle on later:
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 chopped banana

Spray crockpot with nonstick cooking spray. If you're planning to cook the oatmeal 8 hours or longer, use 4 cups of water. If you want to cook it less than 8 hours, use 3 cups of water. Put first seven ingredients (through raisins) in slow cooker and cook on low. Stir and just before serving, top with walnuts & banana. Sprinkle with additional brown sugar if desired.
Serves 4-5.

I think it sounds great - I'm just a new fan of steel cut oats. Do you think I could just omit the brown sugar? Normally when I cook my oats on the stovetop, I eat them plain with 1tbsp pure maple syrup & 1 tbsp ground flax mixed in and a sprinkle of walnuts or almonds and I really like them this way. I don't want to get "addicted" to eating them with sugar again!!! I think I'll try it anyway and see how it goes!!

Ruthie,
I was thinking of omitting the brown sugar myself. ;) I used the brown sugar/Splenda mix last time I made these and it kind of stuck to the bottom of the crockpot and I had to stir it in.

The apple and raisins add a touch of sweetness so you really don't need a sweetner but a little maple syrup or honey would probably be good on top. :)

Kathy

sounds good. I used Steel oats for a while, then switched back to instant...just b/c of time. However, I thought the whole reason for using steel oats v instant was b/c of the sugar content in the instant oats. So isn't it defeating the purpose to add in sugar?
I LOVE brown sugar in oatmeal too!

I made this last night without the brown sugar and it was great!!! I substituted dried cherries for the raisins and added a tbsp ground flax and 1 tsp pure maple syrup just before eating. I omitted the banana too - I'll have that as my snack later! LOL.

I cooked for 8 hours, so 4 cups of water was perfect. It was a little dry around the edges but I blame that on my crockpot. I have a huge crockpot - not so good for smaller recipes. At least now I have breakfast prepared for the next few mornings!!

Glad you liked it Ruthie! Mmmm....I'm going to try the dried cherries next time and leave out the brown sugar substitute I used last time.

pj- Yep, you're right....I found this recipe by Googling crockpot steel cut oats (and thought this would be less dry because of the apples/raisins, and it was...:)

Kathy

I always cook my steel cut oats in milk (1%) and put in a little dried fruit. I don't find I need any sugar (and I like my sweets.) I have also started to mix my steel cut oats with quinoa.

sports and games

Ruthie,
I was thinking of omitting the brown sugar myself. ;) I used the brown sugar/Splenda mix last time I made these and it kind of stuck to the bottom of the crockpot and I had to stir it in.

The apple and raisins add a touch of sweetness so you really don't need a sweetner but a little maple syrup or honey would probably be good on top. :)

Kathy

Hay i have take part in the Marathons and its not any easy task to win in this game. You have to pass the stick as soon as possible to reach at the target point. I have achieved target and score 1st position in school level games.:eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.