Pepperoni Polenta Pizza

Boingo1

Cathlete
I tried this this week. It was very good! I'd make one change. I'd use just HALF the amount of polenta to make a thinner crust (it comes out thick and a bit mushy as a crust base as is). Or you could split the recipe as is into 2. I also didn't use the pepperoni. I used a bunch of veggies.

(Snagged from Self.com)

Pepperoni Polenta Pizza

Before you dial out for pizza, consider this: A pepperoni slice (about 6 ounces) has 500 calories and 20 grams of fat, whereas two slices of this polenta-crust pie (also 6 ounces) have only 194 calories and one third the fat. Plus, it's a quick-make pie.

Makes 6 slices

Ingredients
1/2 cup instant plain polenta
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
1/4 cup diced red and/or green bell pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup prepared marinara sauce
10 slices reduced-fat pepperoni
1/3 cup seeded and diced tomato
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat (part skim) mozzarella
Preparation
Preheat oven to 450°. For crust, bring 2 1/4 cups water to a boil. Whisk in polenta and salt. Reduce heat and whisk 3 to 5 minutes or until thick. Pour into a 9" pie plate or cake tin, cover with plastic wrap and put in fridge to chill to room temperature. Meanwhile, sauté onion and pepper with oil in a nonstick skillet until onion is soft, about 2 minutes. Pour marinara sauce over crust. Add onion, pepper, pepperoni, tomato, and oregano; salt and pepper to taste. Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinklecheese on top and cook 2 more minutes or until cheese melts. Cut into 6 slices; serve immediately.

97 calories per slice
3 g fat (1 g saturated)
13 g carbs
5 g protein

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.