Pear(or apple)-Cranberry Crisp--YUMM!

ellesan

Cathlete
This is my favorite go-to dessert recipe for the holidays. I made it tonight with apples instead of pears. I added 1/4 cup dried cherries and dried blueberries, used 2 TBL cornstartch instead of 1 teaspoon (last year when I made it, it was very runny), and I did NOT use the apple juice. I substituted agave nectar for maple syrup, and added some cinnimon, and used 1 cup fresh cranberries instead of 1/2 cup.

For the topping, I used regular flour and brown sugar as substitues.

With these changes it was AMAZINGLY delicious. The apples weren't too sweet, and the fresh cranberries give it some tartness, while the dried fruit soaked up any juices and made all the difference with taste/texture. It was not runny at all, yet still really moist. We topped it off with vanilla ice cream. This is so good it could be served at any restaurant. My family ate this up!

Here's the standard recipe...and the linkhttp://find.myrecipes.com/food/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=549976
Pear-Cranberry Crisp from Cooking Light Magazine

This seasonal dessert doesn't take a lot of work. Prepare the topping earlier in the day, and refrigerate in a zip-top plastic bag.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)

Ingredients
Filling:
6 cups sliced peeled pear (about 3 pounds)
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 cup fresh cranberries
1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
Cooking spray

Topping:
3/4 cup regular oats
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Preparation
Preheat oven to 375°.

To prepare filling, place the pears in a large bowl. Sprinkle with cornstarch; toss well to coat. Stir in cranberries and next 5 ingredients (cranberries through 1/8 teaspoon salt). Spoon pear mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray.

To prepare topping, combine oats and remaining ingredients, tossing until moist. Sprinkle topping in an even layer over pear mixture. Cover with foil; bake at 375° for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes or until topping is golden and fruit mixture is bubbly.

Nutritional Information
Calories:310 (30% from fat)
Fat:10.2g (sat 3.9g,mono 3.4g,poly 1.3g)
Protein:4.2g
Carbohydrate:55.4g
Fiber:4.8g
Cholesterol:15mg
Iron:1.1mg
Sodium:168mg
Calcium:40mg
Peter Berley, Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2003

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.