oatmeal blueberry applesauce muffins

chefkate

Cathlete
just made these ... mine was warm & ohsogood!!!!
dd loved them too!

Oatmeal Blueberry Applesauce Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins
Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups oats
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In another bowl combine the applesauce, buttermilk, brown sugar, oil and egg. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add in the applesauce mixture. Stir together just until all dry ingredients are incorporated. Gently fold in the blueberries with a rubber spatula.
Divide the batter evenly between the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

Kate, I made these last night and was pleasantly surprised how well they turned out. They are quite moist and very tasty!! And even with the buttermilk and brown sugar, it is 3 points with weight watchers per 1 muffin.
Have you ever tried to substitute the buttermilk or brown sugar?

for buttermilk or sour cream i sub plain yogurt. i use it in corn bread and it comes out more dense. i like it alot better.

laura

Kate, your recipe sounds great! Hubby and I go over to our friend's house every Thurs for dinner and I bring a dessert so I'm always on the lookout for good dessert type recipes, the healthier the better.

Do you think this recipe would work in a loaf pan as a single loaf of bread as opposed to muffins?

I usually manage to make a big mess while making muffins. Bread is easier.

Thanks.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.