oatmeal?

I found several oatmeal pancake recipes on allrecipes.com and sparkpeople.com. You might want to take a look there! I was searching for oatmeal pancakes. Might be worth a look!

I have a favorite!

I got this recipe from the Southbeach Diet and I eat them almost every morning!

4 egg whites
1/2 c. oatmeal (uncooked; I use old-fashioned oats)
1/4 c. fat free cottage cheese (the recipe calls for low-fat or tofu)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Blend in a blender until smooth. Then cook in a skillet.
288 cal; 28 g protein; 32 g carbs; 4 g fat (this may be lower since I use fat free cottage cheese); 5 g fiber
4 points for Weight Watchers

This is one serving but it makes several generous pancakes.

I add fresh fruit and one tbsp. maple syrup for my breakfast. I love these!

Nathan Lyon's Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes

**Edited 7/19/2009**
Let me just say that I made these pancakes yesterday morning, and they were INCREDIBLE!!! I was a little skeptical about the Ricotta Cheese, as I don't care for it, but the cheese taste was undetectable. It gave the pancakes a very nice texture. I cut the recipe in half, and it still made 8 pancakes. They were fantastic! I substituted stevia with fiber for the sugar. I did fold in the beatened/stiffened egg whites at the end. I can't wait to make these again. I highly recommend them!!!
****end edit*******

ORIGINAL POST
I saw a nice pancake recipe while watching A Lyon in the Kitchen last night on FitTV (i love Nathan Lyon!). I can't wait to give these a try. They look sooo yummy! Even though I haven't personally tried them, I thought I'd post here anyway.

URL: http://health.discovery.com/fansites/nathan-lyon/recipes/blueberry-pancakes.html

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup AP (All Purpose) flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch Kosher salt
2 whole eggs, separated
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon ‘pure’ vanilla extract
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup fresh blueberries, if using frozen blueberries, thaw first
3 tablespoons unsalted butter – melted
Real maple syrup, as needed

Directions: In a large bowl sift together the dry ingredients. In a second bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients, minus the egg whites. In a very clean third bowl, whip the 2 egg whites until medium peaks. Slowly combine the dry mixture into the wet. Gently fold in the egg whites, only until just incorporated. Lastly, add the blueberries. Spray or butter a non-stick griddle or sauté pan. Place over medium heat until hot, and add 1/3 cup pancake mixture. Cook for 2 minutes on first side, gently flip the pancake, and cook for approximately 2 minutes on the second. The edges will be dry, and when lifted, the bottom should be light brown in color. Transfer to a plate, keep warm in an oven, and serve on heated plates with real maple syrup.

Additional Notes:
I found a blogger who actually tried this recipe and took some excellent notes. I'm just going to copy & paste here. (source: http://www.cnconlife.com/?p=50)

1. Nathan Lyon has the written recipe on his website, but you won’t get it right unless you A) Watch the Lion in the Kitchen Breakfast Episode (which I highly recommend, if you happen to catch it) or B) Read the following:

2. I first found this recipe on the Lyon in the Kitchen website. It looked so delicious that I had to try it, however I found that the batter was so heavy that it took 5-10 minutes on each side and the pancakes still weren’t done in the middle. I got so frustrated that I almost stopped making them. Then one day I happened to catch the Lion in the Kitchen episode, and I saw Nathan Lyon do something that isn’t mentioned in the recipe.
3. The batter is made slightly heavier from the addition of ricotta cheese (lowfat, of course). You offset this heaviness by whipping 2 egg whites (I use the whisk attachment on my electic mixer) and folding them in.
4. What is not disclosed in the on-line recipe is that you need to fold in the egg whites in two batches. So, you whip up your two egg whites, spoon out about half of them into your batter and fold them in, then fold in the other half. This little trick will make all the difference in the world in how your pancakes come out.

Last edited:
Vita-Mix Oatmeal Pancakes

I love my vita-mix and it's one of the best things to make pancake batter in...here's my healthy recipe for low-ish carb high protein pancakes! Any blender will work, if you dn't have a vita-mix.
4 eggs only one yolk
1 cup oatmeal
a little almond milk
1 scoop of your favorite vanilla protein powder
a little stevia if you want them sweeter but I don't need it.

Mix all together in vita-mix (or blender) and cook in hot pan or griddle just like regular pancakes! No flour needed. if you want them a tad fluffier, add a dash of baking powder. This serves 3-4, depending on big you make your pancakes. I don't use syrup. I chop up 1/2 banana and 5-6 strawberries and saute them in a pan until their own natural syrup juices form and their natural sugars come and I top that on my pancakes! All natural and goooood!

I love me some egg white pancakes! My recipe I use all the time is VERY close to Terri's above, with just a smidge more cottage cheese.

Here's another super easy alternative, that I just recently finished up. This is my SECOND choice, simply because of the instant oatmeal ingredient, but I had a box of Kashi Go Lean instant oatmeal that I wanted to get rid of without throwing it out.

Take 6 egg whites and an envelope of instant oatmeal, blend in the blender and cook on medium heat for 11 minutes. Flip and cook 3 more minutes. You can use ANY flavor or brand of instant oatmeal in this recipe, but keep in mind that the flavored brands have a lot of sugar.

My personal note about egg white pancakes: I like to make a huge batch and freeze them. Then I LOVE LOVE LOVE to reheat them in the toaster....makes the outside a bit crunchy but the inside softer and warm! YUM!

Gayle

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.