Need veg/vegan appetizer that's also gluten free

caseysmomgo

Cathlete
Anyone have a great go-to appetizer that's vegetarian, preferably vegan, that's also gluten free? ...and it's something that non-veg/vegans will also enjoy??

Thanks in advance for your help!

This is a recipe from Crescent Dragonwagon's Passionate Vegetarian that is delicious, healthy and something people always want the recipe for. Spicy roasted carrot spread « The captious vegetarian. I serve with jicama and snap peas. I use just a regular curry powder rather than making my own. For gluten-free, I think you just need to be sure to use tamari rather than soy sauce. Might need to check on that, though.

How about stuffed baby zucchini? These taste good hot, warm, room temp, and cold.

Heat oven to 375 degrees.

You'll need a cookie Sheet or 9 x 13 pan

Ingredients:
Baby Zucchini
Mushrooms – figure one medium size mushroom for every zucchini
Baby spinach – figure 5-6 leaves for every zucchini
Garlic - a clove or two, or to taste
Minced Herbs (optional) rosemary and/or parsley work very well, as does basil. (about 1 tsp of rosemary, 1 tbsp of either parsley or basil)
Salt, braggs, tamari
Olive oil
Pine nuts (or slivered almonds, pecans or pistachios, or pumpkin seeds) chopped coarse
Handful of cherry tomatoes

Procedure:
Coat cookie sheet or baking pan with spray oil.
Wash zucchini.
Slice evenly lengthwise.
Gently scoop out the soft middle section creating a boat.
Chop the soft zucchini flesh with mushroom, chop baby spinach and add to mushroom zuke combination.

Sautee zuke, shroom, spinak together with a tsp or two of olive oil, add minced garlic, and rosemary (if you are using) and sodium of your choice. Sautee until mushrooms are soft and have released all of their water.

Add parsley or basil, if you are using.

Scoop sautéed mixture back into zucchini boats.

Sprinkle with nut or seed of your choice.

Place boats in pan. Add a wee bit of water...less than ¼ cup. This is to lightly steam the zucchini, but you don’t want them to be mushy either.

Slide into oven, bake until the green sections of zucchini are soft and fork tender. Approx 15-20 min depending upon size of zucchini.

Before serving top each boat with a few pieces of chopped tomato.

Enjoy!
:D

How about stuffed baby zucchini? These taste good hot, warm, room temp, and cold.

Heat oven to 375 degrees.

You'll need a cookie Sheet or 9 x 13 pan

Ingredients:
Baby Zucchini
Mushrooms – figure one medium size mushroom for every zucchini
Baby spinach – figure 5-6 leaves for every zucchini
Garlic - a clove or two, or to taste
Minced Herbs (optional) rosemary and/or parsley work very well, as does basil. (about 1 tsp of rosemary, 1 tbsp of either parsley or basil)
Salt, braggs, tamari
Olive oil
Pine nuts (or slivered almonds, pecans or pistachios, or pumpkin seeds) chopped coarse
Handful of cherry tomatoes

Procedure:
Coat cookie sheet or baking pan with spray oil.
Wash zucchini.
Slice evenly lengthwise.
Gently scoop out the soft middle section creating a boat.
Chop the soft zucchini flesh with mushroom, chop baby spinach and add to mushroom zuke combination.

Sautee zuke, shroom, spinak together with a tsp or two of olive oil, add minced garlic, and rosemary (if you are using) and sodium of your choice. Sautee until mushrooms are soft and have released all of their water.

Add parsley or basil, if you are using.

Scoop sautéed mixture back into zucchini boats.

Sprinkle with nut or seed of your choice.

Place boats in pan. Add a wee bit of water...less than ¼ cup. This is to lightly steam the zucchini, but you don’t want them to be mushy either.

Slide into oven, bake until the green sections of zucchini are soft and fork tender. Approx 15-20 min depending upon size of zucchini.

Before serving top each boat with a few pieces of chopped tomato.

Enjoy!
:D

This sounds SO GOOD!!!!! And just in time for all the zucchini that will finding its way out of my friends' gardens and into my eager hands!!!!!:eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.