Mexican Lasagna (Vegetarian!) Oh my Good!

JodelleFitzh20

Cathlete
Found this on the Women's Health Magazine website, made it for my husband and some friends and it blew them away!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was so good! These were bonified meat eaters too, and they didn't even miss the meat!! It's so tasty and packed with veggies! I served it alongside sliced Jicama and red peppers dipped in fresh homemade guacamole!! And I used nonfat plain greek yogurt in replace of sour cream. This dish is a must!!

Mexican Lasagna
INGREDIENTS
o 2 tsp olive oil
o 11⁄2 cups chopped onion
o 1 lb zucchini, diced (about 3 cups)
o 21⁄2 tsp ground cumin
o 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with chiles
o 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed
o 1 can (11 oz) corn niblets, drained
o 1 can (10 oz) mild enchilada sauce
o 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
o 5 (8-in.) whole-wheat flour tortillas (I like Mama Lupe's Low Carb)
o 11⁄4 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar
PREPARATION
1. Heat oven to 400ºF. Coat a 3-qt round baking dish with nonstick spray.

2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes. Add zucchini and cumin, and sauté 5 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender. Stir in tomatoes, beans, corn and enchilada sauce; bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.

3. Put 1 tortilla in baking dish. Top with 11⁄2 cups zucchini mixture; sprinkle with 1⁄4 cup cheese. Repeat layers 4 times.

4. Cover with foil and bake 20 to 25 minutes until bubbly around edges and cheese is melted. Cool 5 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve with sour cream, if desired.

This looks so good Jodell

My only problem is that DH doesn't eat all those veges. So I was wondering how long you though it would last in the fridge.

That's the good part...my DH doesn't eat that much veggies either but you can't even taste the zuchinni and onion and so forth! All it tastes like is mouth-watering mexican yumminess! I even had friends over that always eat fried foods and never a veggie in site and they loved it, and it wasn't till they were all done that I told them about all the veggies in it, and they said they had no idea! (Don't tell them it has veggies, just serve and see thier eyes light up) But yes, it will keep in the fridge or 2-3 days I'm sure.
Enjoy!

Jodelle
I tried this tonight and I had to come on here and say thankyou for posting this recipe. It was great! The only thing that added was two cloves of garlic.I add it to everything and I thought it would be great in this. I am not a vegan but love to go meatless sometimes and this was so satisfying that you were right...You do not miss it at all. But still could not get DH to try it. He just will not est his veges, except for the starchy ones. How doesn't eat potato right?

Thanks again for the great recipe.
Rachel

Glad you liked it!

I'm so glad you liked it! It's one of my hubby's favs now! And the fact that he's eating tons of veggies and doesn't know it is great! You can make it vegan by substituting the low fat cheese for soy cheese or almond cheese (although it does have casein in it) I love almond cheese in it, it melts just like regular cheese. I bet the garlic was good in it. My husband doesn't like the smell of garlic so if could smell it in there he probably wouldn't eat it. But I would!

similar but different non-vegetarian Mexican Lasagna

I have a fantastic Mexican Lasagna recipe variation --

1 lb lean ground beef (obviously can use ground turkey)
½ cup chopped onion
1 - 15 oz can refried beans (can use 2 if you like more beans)
1 jar Picante Sauce (med. Size)
1 - 4 oz can chopped green chiles
1 pkg. Taco seasoning

6 flour tortillas
1 bag light shredded cheese of choice

In a large skillet cook the meat and drain grease. Add the beans, onion, sauce, chiles and seasoning to the skillet and heat until they reach
a spreading consistency.

Layer tortillas in bottom of 13 x 9 pan. Add hamburger mixture then the cheese. Repeat.

Bake at 350º 20 to 25 minutes OR microwave on high 16-18 minutes or until heated thoroughly.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.