Melanie's Wholesome Oat Muffins

melanalyus

Cathlete
Wholesome Oat Muffins

* I multiply this recipe by 5 and freeze for breakfast. It's a great way to keep my healthy carbs in line. If I'm feeling spunky, I put 1/4 bag of dark chocolate chips in the batch, optional of course.

Makes 12 muffins

3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons oats
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour or whole grain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup canola oil
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup brown sugar substitute
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Coat a 12-cup nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.

In a small bowl, combine 3⁄4 cup of the oats and the buttermilk. Let soak for 30 minutes.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and walnuts.

In a large bowl, stir together the oil, egg, brown sugar substitute, and vanilla until well blended. Stir in the oat mixture. Stir in the flour mixture until just combined. Do not overmix.

Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, filling them about two-thirds full. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons oats over the muffins. Bake for 11 to 15 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes.

Remove to the rack to cool completely.

MMMMmmmm, this looks great - I love buttermilk and whole wheat flour. I have a question that I've been dying to ask about muffin liners. When I used to buy them ages ago, I bought them in a circular container and they were all paper. I picked up the only ones I could find at the store the other day and they were a paper and a foil liner together. Now, am I supposed to use both or seperate them? Is there a way to use these? I usually end up with a pile of foil liners since I've only ever used the paper part :). Any opinion would be appreciated.

I"m thrifty, so separate them each out & use them. I think they are designed to have a paper insert inside the foil (so a liner + foil per muffin). I haven't found any sticking problems with the foil.

It's a great mystery, eh? Kind of the like why there are 8 hotdog buns & 10 hotdogs per package? :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.