• 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup plain dried breadcrumbs - I used seasoned, so much more flavor
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes in juice - Also used seasoned, much better!
  • 2 heads escarole (2 pounds total), cored, trimmed, and coarsely chopped - Couldn't find this stuff anywhere, so used 2 10 oz. bags of spinach

Directions

1. In a bowl, combine turkey, garlic, egg, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Using 1 tablespoon for each, roll mixture into balls.
  2. In a large pot, heat oil over medium. Cook onion, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add broth and tomatoes (with juice); bring to a simmer. Add meatballs; cook, without stirring, until meatballs float to surface, about 5 minutes.
  3. Add as much escarole to pot as will fit. Cook, gradually adding remaining escarole, until wilted and meatballs are cooked through, about 5 minutes more. Thin soup with water if desired; season with salt and pepper. Serve soup sprinkled with more Parmesan.

Serves 6. Per serving:
250 cal
9.8 g fat (3 g sat.) - should be less of course with the 99% fat free turkey
23.6 g protein
19.3 g carbs
4.8 g fiber

With the seasoned breadcrumbs and diced tomatoes and a little parmesan cheese sprinkled on top, this is very good! Makes a ton!

YUM YUM!!!! Soups are my all-time favorite thing to cook. Thanks for sharing this! I'll be making this one VERY soon!

Gayle

I've got this on tonight's menu; I'm having my Aunt over for dinner (she's in from Boston). I just made the meatballs ahead of time so that when I go to make it tonight, that part's done. I can't WAIT! I'll let you know what I think.

Gayle

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I made this soup on the weekend and it turned out really tasty! I did some things a little differently.

- I used about 10 cups of home made chicken stock and one 19oz. can of seasoned tomatoes instead of two 14oz. cans
- I added some fresh herbs to the meatballs (parsley and thyme) and a splash of worchestershire sauce
- Instead of cooking the meatballs in the soup, I baked them at 350 for 30 minutes
- I also added a little bit of small whole wheat pasta at the end to make it a bit more hearty

I will definitely be making this again :)
Thanks!

Oh, Maggie. I like your version too! lol My fridge is smelling ultra tasty from the fresh garlic in the meatballs! I'm actually thinking of baking the meatballs ahead of time also. Like you, I'm using some homemade chicken broth too.

I can't wait to taste this tonight!

Gayle

YUMMO!!!!

Awesome soup!!! And it makes a TON of soup!

I'm curious about the nutritional values...did these come with the recipe from the book or site you got this from??? Just curious about how accurate the numbers are!

THANKS SO MUCH for sharing it!

Gayle

Yay! I'm so glad you guys liked it.

The nutritionals came from the book I got it from. I am starting to learn that sometimes the numbers they give you aren't even close!

I just wanted to thank you one more time for sharing this recipe!!! I just polished off the very last serving and it just kept tasting better and better the longer it sat in the fridge (I'm a HUGE fan of leftovers). Filling and oh-so-healthy!!!!

DELISH!

Gayle

I just wanted to thank you one more time for sharing this recipe!!! I just polished off the very last serving and it just kept tasting better and better the longer it sat in the fridge (I'm a HUGE fan of leftovers). Filling and oh-so-healthy!!!!

DELISH!

Gayle

Cool! I agree, it tasted better and better over time. Did you find escarole? Was just wondering how that was in the soup, if you did. I'm making some tomorrow, but I still can't find any!

I did find escarole but it wasn't in good shape (all wilted, etc) so I used/bought spinach instead, which is a personal favorite anyway.

Gayle

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.