Healthy Sweet Potato Biscuits

cendrine

Cathlete
I tried this recipe at thanksgiving and it was so yummy! I began to wonder what would happen if I changed the ingredients to make it a healthier option for during the year.

Here's what I did:

1.5 -2 lbs sweet potato ( I used two cans of sweet potato from Trader Joes, but I have a sneaky suspicion, that it is acutally yams and not sweet potato...)

1/2 cup apple sauce
4 Tbsp splenda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp baking powder

Heat oven to 400F. Microwave potatoes for 10 min. unless using canned. Slice in half, scoop the hot flesh from the skins and add to mixing bowl with apple sauce. Using electric mixer whip together potatoes and applesauce until well combined, beat in splenda, salt and spices. Let mixture cool for 15 min. Meanwhile stir together flour and baking powder. Add flour mixture to potato mixture and use fork to combine. Dough may be sticky. If desired add more flour or form biscuits with measuring cups. I made 1/4 cup sized biscuits and baked them on parchment paper for 20-22 min.

Makes 16 1/4 cup sized biscuits

Each biscuit has:
111 calories
3 g protein
23 g carbs
.25 g fat
2.75 g fiber

I don't know the details about yams vs sweet potato. I think yams are the more deep orange ones and sweet potatoes are the more yellow ones. Supposedly the sweet potatoes rate better than the yams, but they are both considered great foods for an alternative starch.
I haven't made these since posting, I have a craving for some now.... I think I'll make them soon again.:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.